interpreting the constitution

Do you think the constitution should be interpreted as it was at the time it was written, or as a document that adapts to the changes of our society?

art.diva

Asked by art.diva at 1:18 AM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• As a document that adapts to the cahnges of our society im sure. Never read it but I am now putting on my to do list. Want to see if I can Understand it. If its anything like the bible than deffinitley need to change it. We just dont use the same words anymore!
    mymestey

Answer by mymestey at 1:23 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• There is nothing there that needs to be changed. It has been amended to reflect the changes as our government has seen fit to do. But the basic tenets and the original Bill Of Rights stand as true today as it did when originally written.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 1:45 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• s it was at the time it was written
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:32 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• At the time it was written, the founding fathers knew what they were doing.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 5:31 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I agree with jessa...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 2:12 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I have never understood the want to change something that is working.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:00 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• If you've never read the Constitution, you should. It isn't very long, and it's not difficult to understand. It's the governing document of our nation. I think that makes it required reading for anyone old enough to vote.

And, no, we don't need to revise or modernise the Constitution. The Founding Fathers provided a way for us to make amendments as we need to. That is sufficient.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 1:15 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I also agree with Jessa.
    Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 5:01 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I believe they wrote it to be able to be interpreted or amended as we need it to as time passes.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:39 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• It was made to change according to new developments and changes. That is why there are steps you can take if you need to add an amendment. As the constitution was written, women and black people couldn't vote, and there was no such thing as nuclear weapons, for instance. Does the second amendment give people the right to own a nuclear warhead? Should we not let women vote?
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:17 AM on Sep. 30, 2010