Flip the script....

So my 6yr dd and my 8yr dd have changed roles this year. My 6yr loved preschool so much that she hated kinder and wanted to go back to pre. She talked in class and didnt do her work. This year 1sy grade and shes doing great. My 8yr old has always been great in school since preschool and well behaved. Now in 3rd grade shes showing no interest and has been unfocused. My 8 yr dd has been even more emotional than usual. Problem #1 Their bio dad is not consistent w visits. Their dad has been recking their schedule since coming into their lives 2 yrs ago. Problem #2-My mom passed a few months back being the most recent change. I know my daughters miss their grandma and they both seem to have delt w it this past summer. My 6yr old is doing well so I dnt want that to change. So w out trying to fix the 2 problems(which cant be fixed) what can I do To help my 8yr old get back to being great at school. Motivation Ideas.

mymestey

Asked by mymestey at 1:51 AM on Sep. 30, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• maybe your 8yo is hitting puberty - hence, more emotional

find out about the work - too easy, too hard, etc

check for any physical problems - vision, hearing, etc.

maybe therapy if the two problems you mentioned are really the issue
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 2:18 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• That's a tough one. My daughter is only 6, but my friend's daughter is now 11 and at about 8 or 9 she started getting real moody and emotional. It didn't always affect her school time but sometimes it did. I don't know if hormones start to be active although no outward signs of puberty are present. I know at that age I was more aware of my body and such like am I bigger than other girls( and I was I am tall) or am I as pretty things like that. A good in depth talk would be a good starting point. Bring up things like your mom and her dad, and find out what about it is bothering her and explain things to her in a real way but so it isn't scary, etc. After my kids Grandpa died my 10 year old was really afraid he was going to die. I had to sit and explain to him that yes we would all die one day, but we should just have as much fun as we could now, and we couldn't do that if we were scared! Maybe this helps a little!
    BellaKristy

Answer by BellaKristy at 2:18 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My girls Are really close w me. We talked about heaven and I answered all their Q about my mom and they seemed at peace. But from time to time they will randomly say how they miss her and be sad but nothing extreme. I talk to both my daughters all the time. Especially after their visits w their dad. I never Q them only listen and inquire about their feelings. Both my girls get check ups twice a year no hearing or vision problems. The school work is harder this year but the stuff that I know she knows she just dont want to do. Maybe some theraphy if this continues. Thanks
    mymestey

Comment by mymestey (original poster) at 2:27 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• mymestey: Do you notice any other signs in her, change infriends, lack of friends, interest in boys, some budding, etc? If so it may be hormonal, and maybe "the talk" might help her work through some of these emotions.
    If it's not hormonal, maybe some incentive. (you study harder and do well, we'll talk about that trip to six flags or something). etc.
    If all this fails, maybe some therapy might help.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:33 PM on Sep. 30, 2010