How do you teach your children paganism?

My children are 3, 2, and five months. How do you go about teaching your children the craft? Are you open about witchcraft and if not then why? What are your favorite things to do with your children that involve your craft?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree with figaro. Personally, I'd start with the rede, it's a valuable lesson no matter who or how old you are :) Holiday discussions can be very important at those ages as well, pretty soon they're going to be exposed to the world and differing belief systems, it's good for all to keep an open mind about those. Good luck!
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 12:07 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• just like with any other religion, do your normal day to day things, keep them involved, and they will just pick up on it. if you make it into a chore, they won't be interested. its just everyday life and thats how they should learn it
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 2:04 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I think you wait until they are older so they can understand your belief. Don't force it on them either but let them know. At that age they won't really know what your talking about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I actually do not believe in teach my children religion. I will teach them about all religions and let them choose their own path when they are older.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Not trying to offend, but I was under the impression that paganism didn't use any sort of witch craft. That people who believe in "the craft" are actually Wiccan's? Someone educate me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Someone can be a pagan but not a witch but witches are always pagan. (Oh and no offense taken at least you asked right?) Its rather like being christian... you can be lutheran and you are a christian but not all christians are lutheran.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 2:27 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• if you have to ask...you should learn more before teaching them anything.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 3:46 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• it was meant as more of a sharing ideas and views question than it was for educating me. I already teach my children witchcraft and we celebrate together in many ways, i was merely wondering how others taught their children, if they did and why or why they didnt. sorry for the misunderstanding hope i cleared things up!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:16 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• at ages 3,2, and 5 months they would be a little young to learn anything really serious about your beliefs. I would suggest teaching it in the form of short stories( kind of like a fairy tale type layout) that outlines the important factors of the tradition, or the belief but in a condensed version that makes it interesting for kids.Couple this with activities like coloring, baking, or a craft making project, or in the form of a game and you'll be good to go. You might want to research and see if there are any stories like that in your belief first. If not then make one of your own up!
    Best of Luck to you!
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:21 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I think they are a little young as well, My kids are 10 and 12 and just now learning. And, really, it is like everything else. How do you teach them to walk? to talk? to cook? They learn by observing and asking questions. My kids have known since they were little that we did not go to church and I just told them my beliefs were different. I wasn't really practicing anything then. But when I started practicing I simply explained what my beliefs were and what some of the other beliefs are that people have. They help me decorate altars, I teach them simple spells and I just basically answer their questions when they ask.
    seakla

Answer by seakla at 8:50 AM on Oct. 23, 2008