Do you think its okay to teach the bible in our schools as a part of History class

redneckmom777

Asked by redneckmom777 at 2:06 AM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think its ok to teach that whre it originated from, why some people believe it, how it applied to certain historical events, etc. For obvious reasons, it should be closely monitored so as to make sure that the religion ITSELF (as in the teachings/lessons/stories) is not being forced on to the children
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 2:09 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• as a cultural, literary and quasi-historical document (I don't accept everything in it as historical fact), no problem

as long as no one is proselytizing to children in compulsory, publicly funded schools.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:58 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• that would be a great idea
    lefty_69

Answer by lefty_69 at 3:25 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Yes, it's part of my daughter's history class right now and it treated as mythology right along side things like Gilgamesh. As long as it's taught as fiction along side the historical aspect of it's origins, then I have no issues with it.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 4:58 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• if they do they need to include all the other religion's books, as well.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:15 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Not quite. If they show how the bible and other texts have influenced nations, political and social movements though out history, that would be fine. But to teach the bible or any other religious text as history would be a falsehood and a disservice to history. If anything, reviewing the bible and other religious texts in literature class would be far more acceptable to me.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 7:04 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Yes. Some schools do teach Bible as part of history or literature. I'm fine with it. I home teach my son so I can bring our faith into the mix.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 8:34 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• In a private school then yes.
    countryspun

Answer by countryspun at 8:49 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Teach the bible? No. Give a brief description of era and timing? Yes. The reason I say no is because it is a "Public School". If you want to learn the bible go to a Christian School. I do not want my kids heads filled with anything other than history that is important to how we became today.
    JuJubean1979

Answer by JuJubean1979 at 9:08 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I'm fine with it being used as a literary tool, or in teaching about culture, etc. But I don't believe it represents literal history, so it would depend on how its being used in a history class....

And I wouldn't want my child being taught that it's the literal word of God, that it represents actual historic happenings, that it contains absolute truth, etc, etc.

If it can be used in a way that doesn't push religion or religious "truth", while staying accurate to what we know about history and archaeology (etc), I'd be okay with it, though.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:30 AM on Sep. 30, 2010