Do you cut your cats nails?

What is the easiest way to do it?

NicolesMommy

Asked by NicolesMommy at 2:13 AM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Pets

• Yes, I do.
    I do it in a quite area with no distractions, when she is at her calmest. I make sure she is comfortable, lying in my lap or on the table. Taking a pair of regular finger nail clipper (like the ones we have in our medicine cabinet) in your writing hand and hold the paw with the free hand. Gently spread the fingers in the paw (yes fingers lol) and extend the cat's nail out. Look closely at the nail, to find the tiny red vein (the kwick) and clip right above it. If you see blood, you've gone too far. Its always good to have kwick stop handy, but if you dont have that, I've heard of using corn starch. Just put a little on the bleeding nail, and hold it there with your finger for about 30sec-1min, without letting go. I usually just cut the curved part of the nail off. You can do this to the front and back nails too. Their nails are still a little bit sharp, but won't get caught in your furniture or your skin!
    RubyBlue82

Answer by RubyBlue82 at 3:37 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Here are a couple videos I found for you, it's easier than explaining it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryBvqkSAUo8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YLDQMvskH8&feature=related
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 3:07 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Yes, I do. I usually just sit them in my lap and do it. My cats are treated like dogs though and have gotten handled from day one and are used to me doing their nails and anything else I need to. I like using human finger nail clippers and you just want to take the hook, go to far back and you will get into their quick.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:06 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Yep! I use the same positioning as previous posters, but I use the clippers designed for animals rather than standard human clippers.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:27 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Yes. I use clippers specifically designed for pets, though; I use the kind that are a closed circle and you put their claw in the circle. I just sit them in my lap and do it.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:25 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Yep. DH does it since we won't get her declawed. She is a wonderful cat
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 2:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• i don't cut my cats nails at all i have a cat scatcher pole that they can do it themselves
    ladycobra

Answer by ladycobra at 5:48 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:00 AM on Oct. 2, 2010