Do you think teachers are less professional these days?

NicolesMommy

Asked by NicolesMommy at 2:16 AM on Sep. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think some teacher's have gotten a little lazy, but I think some of it has to do with the rules and the kids abusing the system. My MIL teaches alternative school( school for the extra bad kids) and the only thing that she has as a punishment is a write up. The kids know this and will sleep through her whole class all day. When she calls parents to come get their kids if they are fighting, or something of the sorts, they are too busy to come if they even pick up the phone. SHe has had to have the principal call the cops a few times and the kids just laugh about it. She has been hit a few times, spit on, cussed at, I can't even think of what else. In the general population it's not much better, they are usually just sneakier. There are some really good kids that are suffering because of the kids that can't behave and do right! There is no effective system where I live to really treat this problem either.
    BellaKristy

Answer by BellaKristy at 2:28 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I lived in a county that had a boot camp style school that really worked on the problem kids. THey would behave just to not have to go back if for nothing else. We tried to introduce it here and the same parents that won't even answer their phone to come get their kids made a big deal about it. Saying that it was inhumane to put a child through that!
    BellaKristy

Answer by BellaKristy at 2:31 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Yes in deed..cuz they was there for the check when i was in school..so i know it's bad now..
    Lovelymee23

Answer by Lovelymee23 at 8:05 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• In my area I don't think it is the teachers that are lazy it is the kids....Parents are too busy to take care of their own children and are more interested in working than raising there own children. JMO
    jtmommyN

Answer by jtmommyN at 8:44 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I really agree with jtmommyn
    Inheritingkids

Answer by Inheritingkids at 8:49 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• The trends that I have seen in my life time are this: 1) When I was a kid teachers were either young women who hadn't married and had children yet or older women whose children were grown and loved teaching and went back to the classroom. 2) women had basically 3 choices; teacher, nurse or secretary if they wanted a job, but tons of women stayed home with their kids. Now lots more women work and they have more choices many of which pay better. Consiqently the woman who would have been the world's best math teacher is now an engineer. The woman who would have been the world's best science teacher is now a doctor. The woman who would have been the world's best history teacher is now a lawyer. Plus all the women who did become teachers don't take 10 years off to have children and only come back if they truly love it. They have student loans and mortgages to pay. No time for a hiatus. So we have more burned out teachers.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:19 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Add to that No Child Left Behind, Parents who are too busy working to support their kids, drugs, etc. and it makes it really hard to stay motivated especialy  if you are working in a poor school district.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:24 AM on Sep. 30, 2010