I have a friend who has a 2 year old son who is big on biting. Anyone have any ideas on how to stop biting

How to stop a 2 year old from biting

BabyBlue26

Asked by BabyBlue26 at 3:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• a pop on the mouth will work..not too hard of course.
    Anonymous

• most of my friends bite back and it worked they were shocked and just stopped
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 3:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• when most children start biting it is because they are frustrated and don't have the words/ability to express what they are feeling. Generally a playmate who has taken a toy, been in their way is the target. Being firm telling them NO, thats hurts and removing them from the situation for a few minutes work for my kids. My drandson bit more and longer ( I think because of abuse/neglect) it took a lot of consistant reprimand to stop it. We finally had to put him in time out at 3 for biting. He finally stopped but it was a lot of work getting there.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I got my DD to stop biting by biting her back. She REALLY didnt like to be on the recieving end of a bite and I tried everything to stop her before I actually bit her back. She NEVER bit another person again.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:59 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• ya, bite him back
    cstashu

Answer by cstashu at 4:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• My mom swears by the bite back method. She used to babysit a biter whow ould always bite me. She got him back and he stopped. She did warn the boy's mom that was how she was going to deal with the situation before she did it and the mom thanked her for breaking her son of biting people. You don't have to bite hard, you just have to mean business and let them know that what they are doing hurts and has consequences.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 4:15 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I would firmly grab my son's arm and almost yell, "NO BITE". I never bit him back, but a lot of women swear it works.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:43 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Bite him back.
    Anonymous

• what if i doesn't work. my son has broken skin before. sucks.
    Anonymous

• my mom said i was a biter when i was little... so she bit me back once and i never did it again... my son started doing it recently too, i did bite him back and he stopped completely
    mfialdrdickhaus

Answer by mfialdrdickhaus at 5:40 PM on Jul. 2, 2008