Do you think Having a favorite kid is wrong?

MOM.E.BUTTERFLY

Asked by MOM.E.BUTTERFLY at 6:58 AM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• It's funny - you ask my boys which one is mom's favorite and they both have the same answer: "Me!" I agree that I love them both for different reasons, but asking which is my favorite is like asking me which eye I prefer!
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:17 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Yes, even more so if you show it to your others. It can cause alot of damage to your other children.... Im a strong believer that all children should be treated the same, & showed the same amount of love & support as the other children.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 7:05 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• fav kid out of your own kids..yes it is very wrong
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 7:00 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• i only have one, so i don't know yet... but. i know that my mom always kind of favored me. (really, she did! lol)... she and i had a conversation about this once and this is what she told me. "Jay was always my favorite because he was my firstborn, my first everything. You were my favorite because it was so impossible not to love you and like you, because you were so special. Jesse was always my favorite because he needed my love more than the rest of you. And Jennifer was my favorite because she was my baby, my last chance to be a mommy."
    sometimes i'm almost afraid to have another child because i don't feel i could love anyone else, even another baby, as much as i love my daughter. i think, in my secret heart, she will always be just a little bit my favorite.
    everyone is allowed to have a favorite. just make sure your children don't ever know which one it is.
    shilohsmama425

Answer by shilohsmama425 at 7:11 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• It is especially if you show it outwardly and cause the other kid(s) insecurity.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 7:08 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Having a favorite child is actually very wrong. Children should be loved and treated the same as each other! If you externalize how you favorite one above the other, it can actually cause psychological issues later in life.
    icn_mom

Answer by icn_mom at 9:23 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Yes it is wrong. My mom favored my sister...made comments like ____will be the only one to go to college, she is smarter,etc. I am still building my self-esteem to this day. It hurts.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:47 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• It's very wrong. And imagine how that will hurt the other 'not favorite' child/ren. You can love each child equally but appreciate them for their differences and etc.
    nellyb118

Answer by nellyb118 at 9:49 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Yes, it's wrong, but I'm sure people have them.

To echo other posters, I have two kids and they are my favorite for different reasons. I don't love one more than the other. I love them differently because they are different. I'm sure there are days when you ask them who is my favorite that they'd say"He/She is." LOL! It depends on who was acting up and getting in trouble that day. ;) At 8 and 6 losing access to one's DS is a sure sign that you're not Mom's favorite no matter what it was you did to lose it. Most of the time, though, DS will say "I'm Mom and Dad's favorite boy. And Meg is her favorite girl." And he'd be right.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:01 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I connect better with my older daughter, she's quiet and artistic and very much like me. My younger daughter is wild and loud and headstrong, very much like her father. I do treat them differently because they are different kinds of people. But, I would do anything for either of them and they know it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:37 AM on Sep. 30, 2010