What helps prevent charlie horses?

i get charlies horses normally, but now that I am pregnant, they are 100 times worse, I get them in my thigh, my calves, everywhere. They wake me up in the middle of the night and if i move just a little bit, i will get one. its every single night, and i get about 2-3 a night. i eat potatos and bananas all the time, and I drink water non stop.

WHAT ELSE CAN HELP THIS? ITS HORRIBLE.

MichelleWMama2B

Asked by MichelleWMama2B at 3:10 AM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Pregnancy

• bananas! eat one everyday and you will no longer see them :)
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 3:11 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• in the question i posted that i eat bananas and potatoes all the time, i eat like 2 bananas a day...and raw potatoes.
    MichelleWMama2B

Answer by MichelleWMama2B at 3:15 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• well after reading your question fully; I am not sure why your legs are still doing this, as it is caused by a lack of potassium... but being that bananas aren't doing anything; I am wondering if it isn't something more than a charlie horse... I would definitely call the doctor if nothing seems to be working... GL!

leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 3:15 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I couldn't walk right through out my whole first pregnancy because i would get those so bad in the night that the pain would still be there in the morning. bananas didn't work for me either. I think I have something in my e-mail that says what else you can do for that if i have it I'll let you know cause i know how painful that can be.
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 3:19 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My concern is that A: its not just your calves; and B: it is not occasional, it is a few times a night. This might be a sign of a blood clot which is a major major issue. I really think you need to call your doctor tomorrow, they can give you a magnesium supplement, or check you for any blood clots just in case.

leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 3:20 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• its just bad charlie horses, they are only in my calves and my hip area....
    MichelleWMama2B

Answer by MichelleWMama2B at 3:22 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I would try stetching out and massaging the muscles before going to bed. I don't know if it will help prevent them, but I know it works to get them to relax when they're cramping. I thought the charlie horses were the worst part of pregnancy :(
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 4:04 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I used to point my toes to the ceiling (while on my back, pointing them up towards my head.. just the toes) and that would help relieve some of the Charlie Horses..

Having the baby will put a stop to them.. (LOL.. :) ) GL!
    StarMommy77

Answer by StarMommy77 at 4:07 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Ew, you know what the worst part I THINK is about the charlie horses? When they get so bad, that the next morning you go to get out of bed and walk and your muscle is so sore you cant even walk haha you kinda like walk with like a "dead leg" lol
    MichelleWMama2B

Answer by MichelleWMama2B at 4:11 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• as soon as you get one flex your feet! pointing makes it worse... i read it somewhere and it worked for me.
    renee658

Answer by renee658 at 7:26 AM on Oct. 23, 2008