Do you think your hubby should have a choice on a girl name if he doesn't give you a choice on a boy name? (he wants a jr.)

Last pregnancy I was burned up because I feel no. But I gave him the respect of debate with me on girl names because I felt DD could be our only child, since we started kind of late. Now I'm preggy again, I find out what he/she is today, and I've had my heart set on a girl name since I was only a few weeks in. I think this time he shouldn't have a choice, since I get ABSOLUTELY no say on a boy name. What do you think?
Oh did I mention he's almost IMPOSSIBLE to please and we could possibly debate over this and have a baby with no name for 4 months. (ok I'm exaggerating but it's SO ANNOYING that he can't agree!)

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 8:19 AM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• wow that does go well together..the spelling goes so well togother yet they sound nothing alike..i like it!!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:40 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I have a jr. (well he's actually the III) and I didn't look at it as not having a choice about our sons name. I looked at it as carrying on (or in your case starting) a tradition. Unless you really can't stand your Hubby's name then I don't think you should hold it against him. As for naming your daughter, you both have to live with the name for the rest of your lives so i think that he should get a say in the name.
    mamasitax2

Answer by mamasitax2 at 9:44 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• i would want to know what he thought of a name..names he didnt like i would surely not go with...names he favored that i liked as well i would put on my list and i would probably be the one to make the ultimate decision
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:22 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Last time that's how it went. But he liked almost NOTHING I liked. It was so irritating. I really liked Jayla & he really liked Kylie... we mixed them together and finally agreed on Kaylee. I wanted to spell it Cailee though, that way she'd share her daddy's initials but he didn't go for that - it was K or nothing. Whatever.
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 8:25 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• :) Thanks. It's just that I mentioned my girl name to him last night (that he's HEARD several times - we discussed it in passing and several family members have asked me in front of him and he doesn't remember any of it. He works A LOT so he's not home much to discuss ANYTHING much less names.) Anyway I was like "So you're cool with Maycee, right?" (I think it's a cool name that goes well with Kaylee). & he got this thoughtful look on his face & I thought to myself, "Here we go. This is gonna take forever." So I told him "Well I've had my heart set on it FOREVER & I'd really really like her to be a Maycee. Maycee Adeline". (Actually I did get the idea when Kaylee was about 5 mo old... now she's 28 mo!)
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 8:30 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• im not sure who you had no choice in the name. it was your baby too, everyone should have a say in wht their baby name is. but if he picked the boy name then id say you pick the girl name. but remember, in life, you always have choices. dnt let anyone take them away from u
    jamiethornton26

Answer by jamiethornton26 at 8:59 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Usually I say that both parents should talk it out and pick a name they both like and can agree on, but in this case it sounds like your hubby is very stubborn and not very willing to compromise (especially on boy name). So if he is unwilling to budge on a boy name and a boy HAS to be Jr.... then if this baby is a girl YOU should get your way and name her YOUR name of choice. If he has a fit tell him "well honey, you said any boy will be Jr end of discussion and you refuse to even hear any boy names I like. So since this is a girl, you have NO SAY in the name and I will name her what I want!"
    BTW I think Maycee Adeline is a very pretty name!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:05 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• This disagreement is going to be with you for the rest of your lives. It is a decision you need to work out between yourselves. Remember give and take-compromise. Find something you both like.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:25 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I think every name should be a compromise and not one or the other parent should get to choose. Just my opinion.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 3:22 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I agree on the compromise, but that's my point - he WON'T compromise over the boy name so why should I have to compromise AGAIN on the girl name? I hate having this attitude... I think I'm angry at DH for other reasons too. I feel like he's spoiled sometimes and I absolutely don't get the royal treatment I give him all the time... but that's a whole other post. :P
    Thanks ladies. :)
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 9:40 AM on Oct. 7, 2010