Maverick or Traitor?

Why is it when McCain goes against his party, he's hailed as a maverick, and it's seen as a positive thing...yet, if a Republican supports Obama, he's seen as a traitor to his party or even a closet Democrat?

msmoody

Asked by msmoody at 3:30 AM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I've never heard anything about Obama being a traitor for that reason. And if people think that about Obama, I'm sure there are people out there that think that about McCain as well and vice versa.It's not just one party that will think something like that about the opposite party, its dumb people in BOTH parties.

This just seems like a question that will stir up arguments etc. ::Claps & Pats You On The Back::
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:33 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• i agre with the pp
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 3:58 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Because McCain says so. McCain and Palin are always right, you have not figured that out yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:17 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• McCain has been referred as a Maverick by other Govt officials, so that is supported.

Please provide proof where anyone of clout/influence has referred to a Republican supporting Obama as "a traitor to his party or even a closet Democrat"?

Until then, I think you are asking questions to create drama rather than accomplish anything.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:34 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I think that back in the day when McCain really was a maverick, he was not a popular guy in the party. Anyone who publicly goes across party lines gets attacked - just think of Joe Lieberman who was the VP pick and will now never be welcomed back to the dem party.

HOWEVER, as a way to get elected, the mavericky thing seems to be the only way to attract some independents, Hillary supporters and even moderate repubs - since they're all rightly sick of Bush and the current repub direction - so the party will support the idea (esp. since it's meaningless since he's no longer the maverick he used to be and sold his soul back in the 2004 election).
    carolintexas

Answer by carolintexas at 8:27 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• A Republican here that did not vote for John McCain in the primary, and would not vote for him the general election if it were not for my desire to keep Obama out of office. I wanted Rudy, or Fred, or even Mitt. I did not want McCain. He was next to last on my list of Republicans I wanted running for President (Ron Paul was dead last for me). Now I am stuck with no other choice. McCain is far too moderate for me. But I would rather have a moderate republican in office than a liberal any day. So I guess that is why I am willing to accept John McCain's "maverick" status, but at this point anybody that goes any further left than him, is really going way too far, and should not be considered a republican in my opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I never said Obama was being portrayed as a traitor. He's not a Republican, last I checked.
    msmoody

Answer by msmoody at 12:47 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• msmoody:I will ask again and make it a little easier for you... Where has ANYONE referred to a Republican supporting Obama as "a traitor to his party or even a closet Democrat"? Please provide a link, an article, news station.. With what fact are you basing this question?

If you are going to make these accusations you need to be able to back'em up. Otherwise they seem like ignorant assumptions used as a way to start drama... 

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:57 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• hmmm grlygriz2...Colin Powell, maybe? Two days ago the Repubs on this pager were orgasmic about their beloved Colin Powell - today, well he isn't that important and it doesn't matter because he is a traitor to his party.

Or were you one of the orgasms and now you are having remorse?
    Anonymous

• McCain/Palin can do no wrong, whatever they say or do is ok because they are conservative...just as long as it doesn't come from a liberal then hey, it must be right.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:08 PM on Oct. 23, 2008