Has anyone had a tubal ligation fail?

Just curious, but I was wondering if anyone had their tubes tied and still somehow got pregnant (without having them untied)? I've heard stories thru the "grapevine" of this happening, but never actually knew someone that did. Mine have been tied for about 2.5yrs now and I would like them to stay that way. We have four children whom we dearly love, but we have our hands full with four. I was curious to see if there were any moms out there who thought they were through having babies and somehow got a little unexpected surprise. Thanks!

MomOfMany78

Asked by MomOfMany78 at 3:33 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Health

• I haven't but I understand the failure rate is about 2%.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:50 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• There is a woman in the "cold hearted bitches group", that had a tubal ligation last year and JUST found out she is preggo!! I couldnt believe it! I thought it was like a Trillion to one shot to get preggo after one of those!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:57 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• My mother in law got her cut tied and burnt after her 3rd son and 3 years later she was pregnant again. So yes it can happen.
    bootsie334

Answer by bootsie334 at 5:25 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Well, my Aunt Sue had a tubal and at the age of 49 she ended up pregnant. Unfortunately she lost it due to her heart problems.But it was a real suprise when she found out and her youngest daughter was 27.
    kwazylisa

Answer by kwazylisa at 6:10 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• my cousin had that happen twice. she had the tubal, got pregnant and then had another one and got pregnant again. she made her husband get fixed this time.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 6:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Here's what my OB told me: A lot of women have them clamped immediately following childbirth, therein lies the mistake. At that time you are still swollen everywhere from water retention and trauma. The clamp won't pinch as hard as it should. 3 months later the swelling is down and there's a gap for the egg to get through. I had my tubes tied 3 months after childbirth so the clamp would hold; 3 months after that I had to have surgery in the same area by my OB, she checked the tubes again and said not only had the clamps held but the tubes were starting to detach (due to the clamping).
    A lot of women don't want to go back for the surgery later but waiting pays off!
    Gotoyourmoms

Answer by Gotoyourmoms at 5:34 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Thanks for all the info! I still get worried when I'm late even though they've been tied for awhile now. Looks like a little worry wouldn't hurt! :)
    MomOfMany78

Answer by MomOfMany78 at 5:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2008