What is your opinion on this statement?Written in 1994 does it hold to be even more true today, making this recession seem much worse than it is?

Americans, unlike Far-Easterners, Middle-Easterners, or Russians, expect things to turn out well. The constitutional promise to all Americans that they have the right to the pursuit of happiness gives rise to the expectation that Americans are supposed to feel happy. Not feeling happy indicates some sort of failure. The victim says "it is definitely not my fault."

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 9:04 AM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's great to be optimistic about everything you do. All Americans do not think everything will be ok because the government will take care of it. That happens mostly with people already on government aid.
    I find your statement in your question about others not feeling this way to be rather strange. The people in all of those examples already heavily depend on the government for their needs. Hmmm.............. Maybe that's why they don't expect everything to be ok all the time.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:23 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• LOL, the statement Pursuit of Happiness, means you get to chase it all you want. It sure as heck doesn't guarantee you are going to get there!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:11 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Recession------When your neighbor loses their job. = sad.

Depression------When you lose your job. = really sad.

Recovery-------When Obama loses his job..= happiness.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 12:22 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Yes it does. People expect so much to be GIVEN to them that they don't see that they may have to WORK for something. I like many others work hard any way and we do what we need to do. We spend on what is needed for the most part we choose our direction on the choices we make in life so recession or not your faith is in your hands not someone elses imo..
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 9:55 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Too early to be this philosophic.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:08 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Yes it does. People expect so much to be GIVEN to them that they don't see that they may have to WORK for something. Just because you have to work this year a little bit harder to buy those in fashion boots doesn't mean we are in a recession. If we were in a true dire recesion those boots would not be made because the materials would not be obtainable due to various factors. That is just an example though. Bascically I think a lot of it is in people's heads. If you are told every day that you are beuaitful, you will believe it. If you are told we are in a recession people will believe it.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:08 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I think those of us who don't have our heads stick in the sand or have the attitude of "that can't happen, not here," are aware of what is actually being done to our country. We are very concerned, some are terrified! I know that God is in control, as do some of you, so whatever He decides, is what will be... Personally, I think "the pursuit of happiness" will be a thing of the past, if this admin. continues with their progressive agenda...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 9:56 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I have to say I am reasonably happy. I work a little and play a little. I have always pursued happiness. Some days are better than others.
    As far as when does it become illness, when you contemplate suicide, then it is illness for sure.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:43 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• You can live optimistically or not, that is the choice of the individual. Pursuit of happiness to many is not money driven but emotionally and spiritually happy with themselves and how they live their life.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 5:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Absolutely agentwanda
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:20 AM on Oct. 1, 2010