What is a dump cake?

I saw a question about dump cakes and I do not know what they are.

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 9:07 AM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Food & Drink

• My teens favorite dessert to make.We have it for ALL special occasions including Thanksgiving etc. It is not the only desert but they learned this as kids at cub scouts and love to make it.Oh I am slow I just realized almost all their favorite things to make came from cub or boy scout camping trips.We improve and modify at home but the base came from the camping trips.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 12:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Bump
    Kentuckygal511

Answer by Kentuckygal511 at 9:08 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Dump cake is often some kind of fresh or canned fruit on the bottom of the pan, then dry cake mix poured over, then butter on top, and baked, no mixing.

Answer by Bmat at 9:12 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I found this on wisegeek.com, by an anon poster, but it sounds really good, and is a form of dump cake:

"Pie filling is also a good alternative to canned fruit, and I always mix in a can of crushed pineapple, drained, regardless of the flavor. Also, the cook can use one flavor of pie filling on one half of the dish and a second flavor on the other half of the dish, to create two flavors. The other great ingredient is nuts, if no one is allergic. Just add toasted nuts of choice on top of the cake mix and melted butter. Bake at 350 Fahrenheit, for about 30-40 minutes, or until the mix and butter have formed a golden brown, crunchy streusel-type topping. "

Answer by Bmat at 9:14 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• This is from cooks.com

Dump 2 cans cherry pie filling in a rectangular baking pan (13x9). Sprinkle 1 yellow cake mix (dry) over the cherries. Slice 1 stick butter thin and place slices over dry cake and cherries. Bake approximately 1 hour at 350 degrees.

Answer by Bmat at 9:15 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• The best dump cake is made over the campfire. We always make them when we go fall camping - they are awesome. You can use any cake mix with any fruit, the girls like chocolate cake with cherry pie filing. My favorite is spice cake with apple pie filling.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:59 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• These sound fantastic. When preschool is over we will make for dinner. I cannot wait.
    Thank you all so much.
    I am leaving this up a little longer. I hope I get more suggestions for fruit and cakes.
    Love It.
    tootoobusy

Comment by tootoobusy (original poster) at 10:17 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I made one with DGD for dinner. It was good but the chocolate was so rich. Going to try yellow cake. Thanks so much.
    tootoobusy

Comment by tootoobusy (original poster) at 10:00 PM on Sep. 30, 2010