S/O from previous Q re: overmedicated society. When does Unhappiness become a Mental Illness?

When we become aware we are out of shape mentally we present to a doctor steeped in the medical model who will take over responsibility for our unhappiness and probably prescribe drugs.
Would you say the above statement is true?

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 9:08 AM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• There aren't any magic pills that are going to make a sad person happy. There aren't any magic pills that will fix much of anything, starting with a cold ~ but definitely none that will give something like happiness when a person is miserable about something. The problem I see is that a lot of people have/are growing up with no idea about how to handle loss, disappointment, stress, etc.

It starts in grade school when parents interfere or protest the discipline process and just keeps growing. It's natural to want to shield your child from hurt, but if you protect them from everything, they never learn how to handle bad feelings. Once they are adults, there usually isn't someone willing to do that, so people go to a Dr. and demand 'happy' pills.

I understand depression and agree it needs treatment ~ but just being unhappy is different. There IS no cure except time and a desire to change what is wrong, followed by action.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:37 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Yeah, kind of! I was just reading something about people grieving over a loved oneaAnd it was about proper grieving. They were saying that it should not take longer than a few months to grieve & that if it takes longer & is making you sad all the time....that you are mentally challenged & need meds. The article really pissed me off, because if anything happened to my DD...yes, i would be depressed for the rest of my life. Does that mean i have mantal problems? I don't think so....i think it means my heart is broken.

I think the pharma folks would love for everyone to have some kind of mental problem, they would be even richer. I honestly think they strive to convince people there is something wrong with them.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:16 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I think there is somewhat of an epidemic of people encouraged by the media/big pharma to ask for immediate relief of a problem that could possibly be addressed some other way. I do agree that not all doctors believe this, but they must be sought out. Counseling, diet, exercise, sleep, relaxation techniques, vitamins, supplements hormones, etc. all contribute to good health. Most if not all prescription medications have side effects that can actually cause new problems that, in turn, then need to be addressed and then a new medication is often prescribed. My daughter has bouts of unhappiness, as do we all, & told me she "just wants to be happy". I have tried to tell her that it's ok to want that, but if that's all she wants, she is going to be disappointed. And I encourage her to eat well, sleep enough, & do things that are healthy stress reducers. She's 16, so doesn't always take my advice, but at least she's listening.
    dflygirl7

Answer by dflygirl7 at 9:34 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• IMO, I feel the responsibility lies on both halves. I do feel that many Dr.'s are quick to prescribe drugs for depression, but equally I feel that patients are looking for a quick fix to their depression and many seem to think that medications are going to fix it all. While for some forms of depression I can see anti-depressants working for a patient to get them out of the hole so to speak, for some other forms of depression it is necessary to find the root cause of the problem and work from there.

Personally, I think it's only natural to go through stages in life where you are feeling unhappy, or overwhelmed. We grow as people by the experiences we live. Some people may need medications to get them through their dark times, but I feel that medications are way overused.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:23 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 11:53 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• It becomes mental illness the moment you have insurance coverage and is cured the moment your insurance runs out. Prozac is going to flow from coast to coast come 2014.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:17 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• If you can't control your self or actions due to the thoughts caused by unhappiness that is the crossing line. For example cutting, lashed out anger, uncontrollable violence, those are all crossing points.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:27 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Well, there is a huge difference between someone who is clinically depressed and one who is chronically depressed. The illnesses are both REAL. The problem is the Dr.s who can't or won't discern between the two.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:16 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• There a lot of things that goes on in the brain that scientist & doctors have not been able to figure out. That why they try to control the mind with drugs. The result are not always what they want.

I have never taken any drugs to try to control my mind legal or legal., I never had any problems. But, I had a sister in law that always had problems with depression, she hated feeling that way and the drugs never seemed to help her much. A lot of people smoke pot to try to make them feel better. So i guess I don't know what the answer is, or what to do about it.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 2:16 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I don't think all Dr. would do that. Of course some would but not all.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 9:14 AM on Sep. 30, 2010