Vaccines safe or not?

President Obama and Senator McCain statements. Would you say that vaccines are safe after reading these statements?

"We've seen just a skyrocketing autism rate. Some people are suspicious that it's connected to the vaccines. This person included. [Points to someone in the audience.] The science right now is inconclusive, but we have to research it. We can't afford to junk our vaccine system, we have to figure out what's happening. If we keep on seeing the increases in the rate we're seeing, we're never going to have enough money" to take care of these children. --Barack Obama, Pennsylvania Rally, April 21, 2008.

"It's indisputable that (autism) is on the rise among children, the question is what's causing it. And we go back and forth and there's strong evidence that indicates it's got to do with a preservative in vaccines." --John McCain, Texas town hall meeting, February 29, 2008.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I am vaccinating all my kids. I do believe that shots have something to do with autism, but I also think that there are other causes. Until it is proven, 100%, that shots lead to autism, I would rather risk having an autistic child than a dead one.
    piscesmommy123

Answer by piscesmommy123 at 9:19 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• i'm still vaccinating my dd..i think the benefits outweigh the negatives. yes, i think they overdo shots when they're given, but if it's going to keep my dd from getting a disease that could possibly lead to death, then it's for the best. they have proven in some shots, that they are not linked to autism. it sucks that it's on the rise, but can't there be many other underlying factors? people always go to vaccines to point the finger at.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 9:14 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Research tells me about other kids and if you dig hard enough it tells you the ethics of the people actually doing the studies. What I see from my own research and my own son tells me that vaccines are not for us. I dont care whether it was the thimerosol or the aluminum or the monkey or fetal cells in the vaccines that caused or pushed my son's autism. Perhaps it is the fact that we are dosing infants with too many chemicals at once. We have one of the highest rates of autism and we also have one of the hugest number (if not the highest) of vaccines pumped into a kid.
    Vaccinate if you want. I wont. Not anymore. And it's not just the autism and I dont care if Penn and Teller , or Jenny Garth, or even Santa Claus says one way or the other. I've done my research. You do yours and decide.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 1:52 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Watch the Penn and Teller show Bullshit...the episode about vaccinations. The so called "scientist" who think it's the mercury they use as a preservative in the vaccines is what could be causing it. If you do research, there is a smaller amount of mercury in vaccines than there is in a can of tuna fish. In my belief, autism, just like down syndrome, is a birth defect. I believe it is a brain developmental defect. I agree with the above poster....I would rather have an autistic child than a dead child. No one can prevent birth defects...(well except for those women who do drugs, smoke, or drink alcohol while pregnant, they can prevent it, just choose not to). I believe it has a lot to do with a lot of the fertilizers this society uses on fruits and vegetables. You have to think, autism went undiagnosed for a long time. There are still children and adults walking around with autism who are unaware.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:31 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Yes there is less mercury in the vaccine then tuna fish, but the tuna fish isn't injected directly into your bloodstream at such a young age when the blood brain barrier is almost none existent. Vaccination is a personal decision that each family has to make. I can answer all the questions on the following link for every vaccine they want my children to have. After looking at the answers to those questions we made the decision that works for our family. Autism isn't what scares me about vaccines though.

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1444732/To_Vaccinate_or_Not_to_Vaccinate

No drugs are completely safe for everyone though and vaccines are no different.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:00 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I think they are safe....I will say that I do not agree with all of them. For example I will not give my son the h1n1 vaccine. I fell that was rushed through the trials and there have been many problems with it. Later on when it has been tweeked a bit then I will feel safe giving it to my child or myself. Although I dont understand how vaccines would cause autism. People have been getting different vaccines for years so why is it that now there is an increase? Wouldnt there have started to be a jump right away?
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:08 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• The guy that suggested the link between autism and vaccines has now been medically disbarred....
    All the science says there is no link.

Politicians have no knowledge of medical conditions, physiology, vaccines, immunology etc... I'll trust the doctors over one idiot politician.

Autism is on the rise because it has finally been recognised as a medical condition, in the past people were either 'eccentric', 'odd', or 'retarded'.
    That's it.

Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 12:06 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• No it's not safe actually half the problems we have today we didn't have before the vacs, meds, and preservatives. So in reality what is the bigger killer.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• No, vaccines are far from safe. Anyone willing to actually research the subject knows this. The problem is, the majority of doctors don't do the research, they simply believe what they are told like most parents... I have yet to vaccinate my children, and can't see any reason in the future that I would ever start.

That said, On the Vaccine & Autism argument... Correlation does not equal Causation. There are Autistic Children who have never been vaccinated, which says there are other possible causes. And in fact recent studies have pointed to "environmental exposures," including but far from limited to vaccines.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Some people are liking Epidurals to Autism.

But Heck, I dont know. I did have all my kids vax'd but we did Delayed Vaxing.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 4:15 PM on Sep. 30, 2010