Do I have the right to....(Breastfeeding Q?) adult content

Do I have the right to refuse help at the hospital? with my first 2 babys the nurses pushed themselves on me to "teach" me how to breastfeed. I feel Confident that I can do it without a nurse this time around, and would really like for it to be my husband and I only in the room, but if a nurse is in there I dont want her "help" has anyone ever refused help for the first feeding?

momof3ttc

Asked by momof3ttc at 9:19 AM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just tell then you already have 2 kids & that you know from experience how it goes. Tell them that if you need their help. you will call them.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:20 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• yes, tell them you know what to do and would rather have your privacy
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:21 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• You can tell them you don't need their help. If you find you are having difficulty, there is usually a lactation educator at most hospitals that are much nicer to deal with then nurses.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 9:31 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• actually, the LC at my hospital is really weird and rude!
    momof3ttc

Comment by momof3ttc (original poster) at 9:43 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I never got help with the first feeding for either of mine. You can refuse anything you want at the hospital. I would just politely let the nurses know that you would like some privacy and will ask for help if things aren't going well. My first was tongue tied (we didn't know for over a week though) and the LC was NO help at all, but a night nurse taught me how to side lay and nurse and was wonderful, but she only offered after I asked.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:56 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I had a nurse offer to help when my son was born, but I had a really good idea of what to do & just did it. It was the most natural thing in the world & once the nurse saw I knew what I was doing, she left us be. I'm sure that considering the fact that you've already had 2 children the nurses wouldn't have any problem with you telling them you'll call them if you need them.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:04 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I only got help with my first one because I needed it. With my other three I told the nurses breastfeeding was going great! You are the parent and you are in charge. They can only offer suggestions and are not allowed to do anything unless you ok it.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:14 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I didn't get help the second time around. They looked at me and said "oh, you're a pro!" and left us alone (for the most part... they still wanted to know how much/how often he was nursing which is BS!).

Just put it in your birth plan so they know ahead of time and ask everyone to leave as soon after the birth as possible so you can get some bonding time in. You have every right. You pay them for their service, they really can't force you to do anything.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:43 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Crap! By the time I had my third child the nurses completely left me alone :D

They all said, "oh this is your third, we won't worry about you".

Don't worry about it. Just tell the nurse that you do not need help with breastfeeding. They should leave you alone.

Good luck and congratulations.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:43 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Absolutely. Just let them know that you'd like your privacy, and should you need any help, you know where to find them.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:14 AM on Sep. 30, 2010