Can anyone tell me a good herbal supplement for migraine prevention?

My migraines have been really bad lately, like twice a week. I have Imitrex for when I actually get one but I need something for prevention. In the past I've taken Depakote, Inderal, Topamax, baby aspirin and Magnesium. The problem is, these things will work for a few months and then I get used to them and the migraines come back. Plus, the prescription meds usually have bad side effects.

Bethsunshine

Asked by Bethsunshine at 7:35 AM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Health

• I've heard that Feverfew works well. Haven't tried it though. I get migraines too. Ask your Dr. about the prescription medication called Frova. It is new on the market, but you aren't as knocked out as when you take Immitrex. It is the only thing that works for me. I still take a nap when I take it, but I'm usually back to normal speed fairly quickly after that.
    icook

Answer by icook at 9:22 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• yes feverfew is excellent but will take some time to work, lavender oil applied to the temples (not for internal use), scullcap. also, this might sound really strange, but you might want to check your arsenic levels. having too high a level of arsenic, which can come from organic sources (water, soil, etc) can cause migraines. those medicines you have been using should not be stopped abruptly, so consult your doctor before stopping or adding anything else. i hope you feel better. pm me any time.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 1:52 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My doctor prescribed me Maxalt. It is an instantaneous dissolving tablet that I have found works great! I tried all the other stuff and it didn't work. I also have a co worker who has suffered 35 years with migraines and she started taking Maxalt and she likes it too.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 6:22 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I always like Uh Oh Migraine, it's a mixture of natural oils that you can get at a health store adn you roll it under your nose, on your wrists, temples, etc...
    Maddape48854

Answer by Maddape48854 at 6:35 PM on Oct. 24, 2008