What is a good age to get trid of a blankie?

jtmommyN

Asked by jtmommyN at 9:25 AM on Sep. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son doesn't have a blankie, but he does have a baby that he takes with him every where. It's ok for him to have it at his grandma's house, but every where else we go, I tell him his baby has to stay in the car. He seems to be just fine with that.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 9:28 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My daughter outgrew wanting hers about the age of 5. She only wanted it when she was sleeping before that, though.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:30 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• IDK... I wouldn't "get rid" of it per say... I think about that age your child starts attending pre-school it's good to encourage them the leave that blankie in bed, and only use it at bed/nap time.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 9:32 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• we have made progress in this area
    mine three, takes that darn rag everywhere
    but
    recently, she has to leave it in house when goes to special ed 3 yr old school, and she is fine with this
    YEAH!!
    and since it does not go to school with her, she is leaving behide more often when go on errands
    i say "no, blankie stays here", she she usually puts it down to go outside
    she can have whenever she wants when she is in the house, but needs it less and less

how old is your child?
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:35 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I think taking isn't necessary. Cant you just limit it to only in bed or only at home.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 9:52 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• We never got rid of my son's favorite blankie (it was a clown quilt). Instead, we started limiting where it could go with him until eventually it never left his room. He's 15 now & still has it, but it's on the top shelf of his bedroom closet. Having it there is comforting to him even though he doesn't really 'need' it anymore.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:00 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My son used his until he was 8. Only at home, mostly at night. That thing became a part of our family. I wouldn't push to get rid of it. They grow up so quickly, why rush it? You will look back on these days and wish they were still that way.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:37 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My daughter is 3 and has to have her blanket everywhere we go. If she doesn't have it, the trip to/from home is hell.
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 2:29 PM on Sep. 30, 2010