infant supplement

My doctor told me that I needed to give my baby Vitamin D since he was breast feeding. I went to the store to buy some and I wasn't sure if it was over the counter so I asked the pharmasist. She pretty much wouldn't tell me anything. She said I needed to ask my dr. because she couldn't recommend anything because of "all the deaths". What is she talking about? I bought Enfamil Poly-Vi-Sol with iron because it was the only thing I could find with Vit. D. Does anyone use these? Are they ok as long as they don't overdose? That pharmasist just made me paranoid to use them, and the baby just had an appointment with dr. and I forgot to ask about it. I was just wondering if anyone had any idea about this.

IlovemyNicholas

Asked by IlovemyNicholas at 7:45 AM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't worry about what your doc said. A lot of women BF without the use od Vitamin D with NO problem. Plus formula has SYNTHETIC vitamins which barely, if at all get absorbed by the baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I used poly-visol per docs orders when my daughter was anemic. It should be fine. If you're worried about OD, then use a little less than the recommened dose. As long as he's getting a little something, I'm sure it helps. Plus, as PP said, lots of women breastfeed w/o vitamins.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I breast fed all three of my kids and only took my prenatal vitamins. I also use poly -vi-sol, but didn't start using it until around 7 or 8 months old. I still use it today for my one year old and my 4 year old.
    fbic72

Answer by fbic72 at 10:02 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Theres actually no need to give your breastfed baby vitamins the only thing your breastmilk doesn't have is vitamin D and your baby can get that by going outside for 5 minutes a day, walking to and from your car counts when going to a store. CHeck it out
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamins.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 4:43 PM on Oct. 23, 2008