How can I help my daughter not fall?

My 1 yr old daughter is just learning to walk. But she keeps falling and hitting her head on stuff. She has bruises, scraps everything on her head. I feel bad, how do I stop this?

Jenikasmommy

Asked by Jenikasmommy at 9:28 AM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's going to happen. It's part of the learning to walk process.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 9:29 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Momma they all do it! Just be there to pick her up and give her love :) My toddler is covered in bruises, scraps and boo-boos!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 9:30 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• ALL KIDS FALL. When they first start learning to walk they are a magnet to the ground but that's okay . Falling is actually a learning process. If you want to try and help alittle, you could try teaching her "slow down" so when she is in the home, she will try to walk more slowly. A fun way to help, take her outside and run with her and then say slow down and show her by starting to walk slowly. The first few times hold her hand and help her with the game and then let her try herself, I am sure she will have fun with that. Also, helping with balance is a good way to help. My sons first year walking, I would say put him on a barrier (holding him by the hands) if we were walking thru a parking lot and have him walk on it and he loved it and of course still loves to balance on them now. Some playgrounds have balance beams, so that would be a nice place to practice. Never let her try alone of course lol.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 9:43 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• It is totally normal that they fall and have bruises all over the place. My 2 yo has been walking for 15 mos and still falls and still gets bruises that I am not sure how they got there. Just be patient and know that it gets better. Even your pedi will tell that it is normal.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:57 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• It's normal, but you can move things like the coffee table so that she has a little more room.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:45 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My 1yo is a floor magnet too! I just let him go. I try to catch him if he's about to hit something like the coffee table or the hearth, but otherwise I let him go. I know, its hard to watch sometimes!
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 1:31 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• yep, my son went through about a month of that while learning to walk....he had bruises on his head and scrapes too....it will eventually stop when they learn to balance, so dont worry about it, just make sure your house is babyproofed.
    kh717

Answer by kh717 at 2:15 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• You have to let her learn. She will fall. It will hurt. She will get up and try again. Don't make a big deal out of it - instead of freaking out, go "Oopsie! Try again!" and she won't be too upset either.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 2:53 PM on Sep. 30, 2010