thinking of going back to school but what to study? medical office specialist/coding at a technical school or social services at university phoenix or accounting at university of phoenix?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

• You might want to research university of phoenix a bit more... I have NOT heard good things about them. I looked at them for a MEd and found them to be WAY over priced, and not respected in the educational community.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 9:40 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My GF is in school (at 47) taking a Dental Assisting course. It is accelerated - a two year program in 9 months. No gross stuff and you can get a good job anywhere! But yes, do you research and make sure to check out grants, scholorship and so forth for assistance
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 9:43 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I would go back to school, but I would do some research on your schools. Most schools are accredited and looked upon highly but Phoenix is not. I know a few people that have gone there as well as to Keiser and can't get jobs to save their lives. If I had to choose from your list you would be more likely to find a job from going to a technical school than to Phoenix. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:50 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I would go back to school, but like others have said you really need to look into University of Phoenix. There are many other schools out there that offer online programs that are much more respectable. I am going to Ashford University.

MrsHatch4

Answer by MrsHatch4 at 10:07 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I would avoid the university of Phoenix. You'll end up spending more money than you would at a traditional college or university and it's not really looked at in the same light as a traditional degree either.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:55 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Go to your local community college and study accounting - it is a good basis for business.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:40 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I agree with tasches. Look into a local community college. I think the University of Phoenix is a joke.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:00 PM on Oct. 3, 2010