Do you read your teen's texts or check up on them on facebook?

In this world of technology now mixed with parenting teens for me....I feel alittle lost and concerned about about their social lives and what's truly going on with them. They do talk to me when I ask questions (i know they share only what they want me to know) but I can't help but want to "spy" on what they are putting out there to so many people anyway. I've talked with them about how to be careful with what they share on facebook and how texts can be forwarded to anyone.....it's very scary as a parent! So~ to spy or not~ What do you all think??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Not even a question for me... SPY!!!!! I was able to catch something before it turned devastating for one of my girls. I know it sucks to have to resort to spying but I'm willing to be the bad guy if it means potentially saving my childs life or preventing her from being hurt so badly that she may not recover emotionally. My girls know that there's nothing private in my house while they're growing up. I don't check everything but they never know when I WILL check up on them. That's always been the stipulation if they're allowed to have a phone or be on facebook or the computer in general.
    shellakers

Answer by shellakers at 1:24 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I am friends with my daughter on facebook, so I know what is going on there. She is one of the few teens that doesn't have her own cell phone and so the texting she does in on mine so yeah, I could easily go back and read them. But, I trust her and she's not given me any reason not to so I don't go snooping through her stuff.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:42 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I don't have a teen, but I would certainly make sure they are my friend and then yes, i would occassionaly monitor what they are doing
    KimberlyVaughn

Answer by KimberlyVaughn at 9:57 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I know my children well enough if I have a question about something I ask... they know what happens if they lie to me and I find out differently... You have to have respect for their privacy... you want them to respect you also... not resent you!
    kamore

Answer by kamore at 9:42 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I'm on my sons FB page, and he's on mine... I also know his password so I can access it anytime.. He doesn't have a cell phone, he's only 14, and doesn't have a need for it. When he's 16 and has a part time job, and driving he will, and I will keep a close eye on everything he does with his phone until he has his own contract at 18...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:48 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I don't have a teen yet, but I would be keeping an eye on their fb account for sure!
    Mommyathome2

Answer by Mommyathome2 at 9:49 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I am my son's friend on FB. I can and do see everything. I know his password also. He is 14, but, he hardly ever goes on there. He plays games online more than talk to folks. Although there is a forum where he goes and debates topics. He also only has a cheap prepaid emergency cell, so, no issues there either. LOL I trust him to do the right thing and so far so good.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:52 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Yes. We are on each other's friends list. I have to keep reminding them to NOT put personal info on their pages. And, make them remove it when they do. One of them isn't too happy with me about it. But, when they post OUR address on their page, it becomes MY privacy issue! So, call it invasion of thier privacy if you like. But, I'm protecting the FAMILY'S privacy by monitoring their profiles.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 9:55 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• BTW, my son does NOT use his real name on there. LOL He has no personal info and doesn't even use his picture. He protects himself better than I do. Haha
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:10 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I do check my children's facebook pages (in order to have one I was to have the password). I also check their text messages from time to time (but not so much anymore). My children are pretty good about talking to me without even having to ask about things, I know there are things they don't share with me, but if I ask I tend to get at least the partial truth about it.
    In my house there is no such thing as a right to privacy when it comes to issues of safety and my children know this.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 10:34 AM on Sep. 30, 2010