How would you handle your neighbors daughter (14) saying she would slap you because

I caught her sneaking out and told her mother. I am a mother and if someone catches my daughter doing something wrong or saying something inappropriate I want to know.

Her mother did have words with her reguarding the situation. The girl said it in the house while i was on the deck.

She could of got hurt, raped, murdered or kidnapped 12am, I am not even walking the streets. I care about the kids, and either way feel, my door is always open to her if she needs help.

How do I handle her when I see her? Just curious on what you would do?

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 9:44 AM on Sep. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• Continue to inform the mother of her DD's behavior. I would want to know. I want to know what my child is up to at all times b/c I don't want the call at 2am saying that she was murdered or in a car accident and she was supposed to be in her bed.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:47 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• ignore her
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 9:47 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• If you are close to the girl I would explain to her why you told her mom. If she's just a neighborhood kid that has no connection to you it's likely to fall on deaf ears so there's not a lot you can do. BTW, I think you did the right thing telling her mom, I would have too.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:47 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I think I would bring it up with her mom, I met tell the girl that I expect to be respected, that I'm sorry she's upset, but it's your responsibility as a parent to inform her parents if she is doing something that is dangerous.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:47 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I would stay out of their family business. I get u were being a good friend/neighbor but,stay out of it. If her own mom can't keep track of her own kid then ,it is not your job to be policing the kid.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:48 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• next time you see her
    smile, take your finger and point to your eye, and then point to her
    let her know that you are watching her
    but remember to smile
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:49 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I would keep telling the mother when she does something wrong, and maybe see if you can figure out if there is an underlying cause to her bad behavior.
    piscesmommy123

Answer by piscesmommy123 at 9:51 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I wouldn't even say anything to her. She wont be slapping you if she was really going to she would have tryed all ready. But I would probably let mom know she was sneaking out and had her keep it to herself who told so you can still keep her informed. This girl will be careful to not get caught next time. But if she just thought mom got wise then she would be blaming herself and it keeps you out of it. I hope I got this across right and don't get slammed for it. I hope I was helpful. And I do think you did the right thing.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 9:51 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Tell her that you are only thinking of her and tell her of the concerns you have with her going out at night. Tell her that with you being a mother, you would apprecicate if someone cared enough about your child to let you know if they were putting themselves in a bad situation and you have that respect for her mother. Then, maybe ask her mother to have a nice talk to her about the dangers of being out at night at her age. You can't really help as much with the child's judgement as a mother. Honestly, I think the best way to talk to a child about the dangers are point blank and to not sugar coat but it only really sticks if someone who is important talks to them about it. Hence, why sex education and D.A.R.E don't help enough.

She may not like you now, but she will appreciate you looking out for her in the future.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 9:54 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I hate nosey neighbors. I understand your concern for the girl, but at the same time you sound kind of nosey if you were listening in on their conversation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Sep. 30, 2010