What to write in a sympathy note...

I need to write a sympathy note to a distant aunt (my uncles live in gf). I don't see her much and don't really know her. But want her to know I'm thinking of her. I don't have a sympathy card so thought of writing her a note.

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 10:05 AM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• A few samples from this website:

• We are so very sorry for your loss. Our thoughts are with you.

• Thinking of you at this difficult time.

• You're in our thoughts.

• We're so very sorry to hear about Margaret. Please know we're thinking of you in your time of sorrow.

• "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome." Isaac Asimov
musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:10 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I was always taught that proper eticate is a blank sympathy card with a hand written note. I would write just what you said. You are in my thoughts/prayers, please know that I am thinking of you and if I can be of any help please let me know. etc etc.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:29 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• If she is your uncles live-in gf,that does not make her your aunt. What is the situation for the sympathy card??
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:07 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Well I consider her my aunt! She's lived with my uncle for 20 years geesh! Her mom died.
    mamaada

Comment by mamaada (original poster) at 10:10 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I, also, was taught that blank cards with a hand written message was the proper way. If you don't really know what to say, though, I'd go with a card with a preprinted message maybe something inspirational. On the inside I'd still say, "You're in our hearts and in our prayers"... "Our hearts are breaking for you in this time".... "If there's anything we can do to help, whether just lending an ear or ANYTHING, please let us know"....
    Just something to let your aunt know that you're thinking about her. I agree that just because she wasn't actually married, she's still your aunt especially since their time together lasted for as long as it did. I know she'll appreciate your concern for her:-)
    shellakers

Answer by shellakers at 12:49 PM on Sep. 30, 2010