How long does one stay drunk?

Not really sure how to categorise this Q. My DH finally found a good job. He wants to come home early today. He had been drinking till the wee hours of the morning. When he left for work he was fine. I phoned after lunch and he sounded drunk! He works in the sun most of the day. Can the heat make you drunk again from the night before (his explanation) and then very sick? I told him to just stick it out. I suspect he took more alcohol with him to work. I don't want him to screw this job up. Does his excuse sound plausible? Would you nurse him (that means he comes home, can get into bed and I do everything)? Would you take a "serves you right" attitude and insist he does his bit?

CassyzMom

Asked by CassyzMom at 10:08 AM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• The body metabolizes alcohol at a rate of 0.02/hr. There is little if anything that will speed up this process. Once the alcohol is metabolized, it can't "make you drunk again." My suspicion is that he either drank more throughout the day or is suffering from dehydration caused by a combination of too much alcohol last night and too much sun today.

motheram

Answer by motheram at 11:40 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• If anything, the heat will make you process/sweat out the alcohol quicker. If he's drinking a lot of water he should be sobering up. He needs to put on his big boy pants and finish his work day - he did this to himself.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:10 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I suspect he took more alcohol with him to work. --

going by this, i'd say he may have a problem, other than this one time. why else would you suspect he brought it to work?
    before i read that, i was thinking, 'well, if he drank all night long, he wouldn't be 100% at lunchtime..he'd likely be very tired, probably sick..'.
    i'm not sure i'd 'nurse' him at all. he's big enough to play, he's big enough to pay. and not let it deter his work! the more you excuse his behavior, the worse its likely to get. don't enable him. tough love, doll!
    surely you know if he has a drinking problem...right?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:14 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Now he's claiming alcohol poisoning. Do you get that once you've had time to sober up? What are the symptoms?
    CassyzMom

Comment by CassyzMom (original poster) at 10:17 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• i think nursing him would be called enabling
    i have no degree in this but
    when someone is an addict and a family member/loved one helps the addict to cover up porblem, takes care of them when using, makes excuses for actions etc...this does not help addict, well not help them to get better, but helps them to continue the addiction

sounds like he has a big problem, not something you can "fix" but you sound like you have helped him to continue by making things easier for him

this is what i think
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:18 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• alcohol poising
    well, if he drank until wee hours and now in hot sun-dehydrating, very possible, maybe he needs to go to hospital and get fluids into him through a bag

then, when he is there, he can ask about some treatment for his addiction

and he has NOT had enough time to sober up, if job tested him right now, i am betting he would test positive for drinking
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:20 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I don't want to enable him, but he always seems to have good reasons for his ailments (OMG, I can't believe I just typed that) Okay, I get your point fiatpax
    CassyzMom

Comment by CassyzMom (original poster) at 10:20 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• sorry for you
    i am with an addict to
    not same kind
    but addict just the same
    and when typing to you, i realized that i too have enabled him to continue his own addiction
    have made it clear that it is not ok with me, got him to go to therapy with me, and would stay IF he admitted to addiction and at least was willing to try to get help
    but..
    he is not admitting to, some there is that
    i have to leave because i can NOT fix what is not mine to fix, i would support him IF he was willing to help himself, but not the case

good luck and God bless you and your children
    (and God bless him in hopes he sees his addiction and wants help)
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:37 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• He doesn't see a problem with his behaviour/habits. He always justifies them somehow. Thank you very much FiatPax.Good luck and blessings to you and your kids aswell
    CassyzMom

Comment by CassyzMom (original poster) at 10:39 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• No.I would nurse him.Make him feel better.He was probably hung over and in order for him to feel better,he probably drank a few beers.I'm a big time alcoholic.But I knew if I didn't quit,I would end up hurting myself or someone else and spending the rest of my life in prison.I've been sober since January 9th,1999.I had to get on antabuse in order for me to stop drinking but it was worth it.Go easy on him now,but if it continues,there is a good chance that he is an alcoholic and he is going to need help.Good luck to you and your husband.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 12:00 PM on Sep. 30, 2010