At what point do you decide to keep your child home from school?

I have a child in an early preschool program (2 1/2 - 3 1/2 year-olds) and he loves it. This morning he has a bad runny nose - bad as in I have to wipe it at least every 20-30 mins. No fever though, just nasal congestion and a very infrequent cough. He wants to go to school but I have reservations... is an excessive runny nose no big deal or should I keep him home? I don't have a job so there is no pressure for me to send him.

samiam828

Asked by samiam828 at 10:16 AM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I do not think I would keep my DD home if the mucous is clear, there is no fever or other symptoms. It could just be seasonal allergies.
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 10:18 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• For just a runny nose, slight cough, etc. I send my kids to school if they aren't acting sick. If they have a fever, or appear run down, I keep them home.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:18 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• if you aren't working, i'd keep him home, to help clear up his congestion (medically, etc). he has no fever, and minimal coughing..if he's playing/eating normal, he'd be fine to go to school, if you have to take him.
    i'm sure the teachers/aides would love to not be constantly wiping noses..but then, they do it all day, anyway.

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:19 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• As long as he doesn't have a fever and the cough isn't too bad you can send him as long as he feels like going. Keep tissues in his pocket for his nose and encourage frequent hand washing to prevent the spread of germs. Hope he feels better soon!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:20 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• most schools don't want you to bring your child if the discharge is green or yellow, and they have a fever. just clear discharge and a slight cough though he should be fine.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:20 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Clear mucous, no fever, dry cough, behaves normally- I'd send.

think green or yellow mucous, fever, coughing up mucous, feels poorly, then I wouldn't send.

Answer by Bmat at 10:21 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• The preschool my daughter goes to has a policy that if your child is showing any signs of an illness to keep them home, because it could lead to something more serious than just a cold... plus I'd imagine the teachers don't want to keep wiping the children's noses for them! I keep my children home.
    mldj33

Answer by mldj33 at 10:27 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Personally, I would send him. But I work and it's a pain to switch our regular routine, but if you think he needs a little extra mommy love today, keep him home.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:41 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I agree with PP's above... it would depend on the type of mucus showing..
    if not for him then for the other childrens health as well.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:46 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• i agree if its clear send to school
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:42 AM on Oct. 8, 2010