high chair or chair seat?

my daughter is about four and half months old... she eats baby jars everynight.. she eats in her carseat... im wondering if she can sit in high chair or a chair seat? she cant sit up by herself but she can balance herself a little... its hard to explain but.. is there like a speical kind of chair seat or something ?

thanks!
if im not explaining clearly, sorry im just feeling exhausted!

tiggerneeyore

Asked by tiggerneeyore at 8:19 AM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son sat in his high chair when he could sit up with support. not straight up, but what looks comfortable to them. so try the high chair! ;)
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 8:25 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My daughter had a rocking chair that resembled a baby bouncer, but had a "foot" that would prop it up and make it immobile. It fit newborns all the way up to toddlers, where it just became just a rocking chair they could sit in. It also came with a toy bar that snapped across it, and with the foot up she would gently rock back and forth when she batted the toys. It was absolutely perfect for feeding her even after she could sit on her own, since the back had different reclining/sitting positions. It wasn't very expensive (about $25), and I got it at Toys R Us. It has a bright blue patterned cover and I think the toy bar is zebra striped. I think it was the best $25 I spent on a baby accessory, and she used it until she was about 3 years old.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 8:42 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I know what your saying, I had the same issue. The high chair actually worked better. Try it, if it doesn't wait a little longer, and then try, she might not be too sturdy right away, but they make them pretty safe.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 8:42 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My little one was four months when we started putting her in a booster chair.

If your strapped for space, get one of those "booster seats" that straps to a regular chair in your kitchen. My bro came to visit with his kids and my sis in law brought one for my nephew. It takes up such little space, has a removable washable tray, can be easily cleaned, supports the baby well to eat, and converts to accomodate your baby as he/she grows. I got the fisherprice rainforest one with the toy insert that clicks into the tray- I thought my husband was going overboard when he picked it out. It is a lifesaver to occupy the baby when I'm making her cereal... and when I want to straighten up and have her in a safe place for a few minutes. I think I paid around 35 for mine.
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 8:49 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I have a high chair (I think it's by fisher price) that acutally sits on top of a regular chair and straps to it. I have found it to give support to my daughter's back as she can't sit up yet either. Also, if I'm at my mom's and her high chair doesn't have the same support, I stuff towels in the sides so she doesn't wobble!
    cschwanger

Answer by cschwanger at 9:34 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Get her a Bumbo. It supports her while she sits and you can get a tray to fit on it like a high chair.
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 11:17 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Yep, the Bumbo. I got one for my son when he was little. They are at target and walmart. They're awesome! There is also another brand, but I can't remember what it's called. Basically the same thing though.

They are also great to plop them in to watch T.V. or sit them somewhere like the kitchen while you're cooking or doing dishes. We also took it to restaurants and sat it in the booth with us when he was too little for a high chair.

It also helps strengthen thier core muscles so they can sit up on thier own sooner.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 23, 2008