Do you feel older and look older then what you really are??

I'm so upset, well upset with myself and a bit disappointed because yesterday i had the shocker of my life. (being dramatic a bit) I was getting my hair cut and somehow ended up with "the Age conversation" with the staff. I ended up looking older to them that what i really am but i was to embarrassed to correct them and just went along with it. I am 38 and they guessed me over 42 43....Of course ladies that was a hit below the belt. I always thought i looked good for my age :((

Ladyblue38

Asked by Ladyblue38 at 10:38 AM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I have been very lucky.  I did nothing about looking after my skin until I hit 40 (I'm 47 now).   In fact, I did the complete opposite to all the expert advice but I look at least 10 years younger.  One guy I work with said I didn't look old enough to have a 17 year old kid and I was 29 when she was born.

Don't worry about what the others said.  They weren't too far off the mark and if they were younger, they probably overestimated anyway, which is normal. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:15 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• No, I look younger. By about ten years. Get a retinol cream and have your makeup re evaluated. Too much makeup, and cream foundation in general, is very aging. I use a tinted moisturizer. (Neutragena three in one) followed by a gentle mineral foundation.. bare minerals when I can afford it, and physicians formula when I can't.

The girls at Sephora will help you out. Also, stay away from "mom" hair- anything that's over done, or very short and layer-y.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:49 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Wow. I am surprised they let themselves get caught like that, usually a professional will under-guess the age so the client can't be insulted or hurt.

I am told I look younger than I am. As far as how old I feel, a really bad job experience took a lot out of me, and I am still getting over it.

Answer by Bmat at 10:40 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I feel older, but I have always looked younger than I am. I'm 32 and most people guess me to be mid to late 20s. I see this fading fast though, I've started sprouting gray at the temples and I can't catch all of them to pull them out.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:40 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I feel older in the mornings. I never let anyone guess my age and sometimes women can be mean and put others down while seeming nice. Don't let it get to you.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 10:41 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I'll be 27 in 2 days, but I feel like I'm 90 when I get out of bed in the mornings, LoL. and with no makeup on (and especially with shorter hair) I tend to look a little older, I always have (it's what happens when you're 5'11" by the time you're 15). Currently growing my hair out and trying some new makeup tricks in hopes that I can look my own age and NOT my husband's (he's 38).
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 10:44 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Honestly, I have the opposite problem. I will be 26 next month, and look 8-10 years younger than I am. At the beginning of the school year my DSs teacher introduced herself, and then asked where his mother was (she thought I was the older sister). It's frantically annoying!

Like the others said, overdoing makeup, or very short severe haircuts will make you appear older than you are.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:58 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• @Bmat yes that is what i thought so if they were trying to be nice by guessing me 42,43 i must look even older to them...omg, i have not even thought of that.
    @ lucky you,but dont pluck them out they just grow back stronger and thicker then they were before...just color them if it gets too much.
    @ trying2bgood, yes i know women can be b**** especially when they feel threatened but still they are professional or should be and a remark like that ...well try not to let it get to me but i guess my ego just took a hard fall now and it takes time....
    thanks ladies for the boost up
    Ladyblue38

Comment by Ladyblue38 (original poster) at 10:46 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• @ kassey713 you funny you made me laugh
    Ladyblue38

Comment by Ladyblue38 (original poster) at 10:47 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• @5babybees...good for you i'm happy that you feel so energized...:)
    Ladyblue38

Comment by Ladyblue38 (original poster) at 10:49 AM on Sep. 30, 2010