Do you really believe that the birth canal can be too small to deliver a baby?

I mean, arent we as women made to give birth? I had a cesection with my first because of high blood pressure. This time we have a planned cesection and I'm not really sure why. My husband keeps bring up that the doctor said there was not way I would have ever deliverd my son naturaly because my birth canal is too small.... My son was only 6lbs 15 oz ... If he were 10lbs then i might understand..... What are your thoughts?

smarie1011

Asked by smarie1011 at 10:48 AM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Uh YEA of course it can happen. Things go wrong ALL the time. My friend could never deliver vaginally because her coxic (sp) was turned in. She nearly died during her first labor (in fact she did), they did an emergency c-section, and she was told she would have to always have C-Sections. Just becuase the body is made for something doesn't mean it was always made right
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:51 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Yes, it can. This happened to a friend of mine as well, and she is just a tiny little thing by nature. Yes, they are designed to birth a baby, but every body is different and not all bodies are able to do everything every body can do, KWIM?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:52 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I think c-sections are big business and convenient for doctors. I also think that since the "normal" way of laying on your back, that this country pushes, closes a woman's pelvis. Add to that epidurals, so a woman can't move to an easier birthing position and the birth canal will be too small.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:53 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• im pretty uch in the same situation i did not dialate w my son or any of my mcs and now with my girl i was tolld for my son the reason i probably didnt dialate was bc his head wasnt resting on my cervix allowing it to open. and now at 32 she was head down then 34 she was floating above my pubic bone i had an ultrasoun and exam( high risk) the dr said she went back up bc she cant fit im narrow and my pubic bone is too large taking the space up where her head should be...anyway she is tiny plus my son was 6 10 the only reason i believe it is bc i saw it that shes moved up and wont come back downi guess its like being born wo other abilities you should have but dont like seeing or hearing i guess some ppl just cannot deliever babies and im sure this is why a lot of women died in child birth before they did csections im just happy they have them but i know where your confusion comes from i felt the same way
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 10:55 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Both of my best friend's boys were c-sections b/c they said she couldn't deliver vaginally. I think they said she was too small.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:56 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• zacksmommy.... Thanks for your input but, I did not say anything about having any other problems. I just said the "birth canal" being to small. I know there are tons of other things that could go wrong but, i was talking about the birth canal being too small. not anything else...

And Sleepingbeautee.. I kind of agree. I never actually got to even try the first time. The doctor who did my cesection just said during the cesection that it would have never happened... I would kinda like to try.... But, I feel like I am being pushed into having a planned cesection.
    smarie1011

Comment by smarie1011 (original poster) at 11:00 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I agree with you. If he's only 6 lbs something, you really shouldn't have had an issue. But, humans aren't really meant to carry and have babies that are 10lbs +. That's a product of our overweight society. Plus, overweight women have more complications.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:00 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Yes, it can happen, BUT doctors give that excuse way more than needed. It's a good way to scare a mommy-to-be into getting an unnecessary c/s.
    mychinababy

Answer by mychinababy at 11:00 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I think it is possible, but, not always the case. I am sure it can happen and I am also sure that docs like quick scheduled births too. They also don't like to let women get on their hands and knees which we all know opens the pelvis FAR more than most positions. And flat on your back will close the pelvis and make it difficult.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:00 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• OP, uh yea I know what you are asking, I can read. My point was YES, anything can go wrong, including a small birth canal
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:03 AM on Sep. 30, 2010