What are your thoughts about the energy drinks that are marketed to teens?

My DD, 16 wanted to buy one at the store when we were there, but I said no. (It was her money) She wanted to get one because she said she was tired, and coffee doesn't help. I said that I don't think those are good for you, maybe more sleep and eating a food , or juice that would give her energy might help. She got annoyed and later said that there's no harm in having one now and then. I feel like I can't win with all the marketing they do toward teens.

dflygirl7

Asked by dflygirl7 at 10:56 AM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I won't let my kids have them either. I don't think they are good for them - there are a lot of chemicals and stimulants in there, not a healthy choice for a growing body.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:58 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My daughter is not allowed to have them, we have to limit her caffeine intake already. I agree with sleep and good nutrition there is no reason to have energy drinks.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:58 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I really don't think they are healthy at all, let alone for teens or children. I agree with you. I'd stay firm on it if that's what you believe.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:59 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Bump!
    SDMama77

Answer by SDMama77 at 10:59 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I always told my kids that I wouldn't buy them. If my son (17) were to buy one, then he's on his own. They aren't not healthy, but not nessesarily harmful either
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:00 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I don't want my son having them either, but he always tells me that all the kids do. I remember taking no-doz as a teen. I guess it's the same thing.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:02 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• You told her right.. I don't think those are good for them either , you are right more sleep and eating foods that are natrual such as Grapes - Grapes have lots of magnesium, which converts into energy. Grapes are easy to carry around and make great snacks.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 11:11 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• They're HORRIBLE for you. They're filled with artifical fillers and sugars that mimic what your body naturally does. However, this things even in moderation are horrid for you. They're nothing but liquified caffine pills, which can cause heart attacks and other heart issues. Because they rev up the body unnaturally and then you crash suddenly, which causes the body stress. Even in moderation they're not good for you at all. She should really just eat better, get more sleep, and maybe even excersise to help her body NATURALLY gain more energy.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:12 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Those things are total junk full of sugar and caffeine.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 12:42 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My son has had those for a few years now. I won't buy him any but when he goes to school and after school he buys them. He even has been told by the Dr its damaging his heart. We went to the Dr not to long ago and he has a small heart problem that was cause by these drinks. The dr told him to stop drink them. My son is now 17 and its very hard to keep 24/7 tabs on him when he isn't at home..I think they should not be sold to kids what so ever
    noel1979

Answer by noel1979 at 1:15 PM on Sep. 30, 2010