My niece (not sure which group to put this in)

My niece is pregnant with her 6th child. She is 23, has a 6 year old, a 5 year old, a 3 year old and twin 1 year olds. She does not have a job, a husband, a boyfriend. No real friends. She is on drugs, drinks, is on welfare and WIC. I have called child services multiple times. I have spoken to her mother, my sister, but she says "Jane" can take care of her kids. The honest truth is she can't. I don't know what else to do. Are there any agencies I can turn to? Anything I can do? My great-nieces and nephews deserve much more than are getting, and a mother or father who loves them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• If she is on drugs then there should be no question with CPS taking the kids. You might ask DHS what the requirements are for getting an investigation. I know at one time there had to be 3 complaints made before they would send someone out. Keep working on it, you're right those kids deserve better.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:00 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• If CPS has investigated and accusations have been unfounded, I'm not sure if there IS anything else you can do. Do the kids have proper food, shelter, clothing? Not abused or neglected? I don't know that you can do anything more if CPS has found the home fit already.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:02 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• You can contact CPS again, but if they've already investigated and haven't found anything then there isn't much you can do. Talk to a lawyer and see what your options are. Maybe you can gain custody of the kids or another family member can, by going through the court system to fight for custody.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:10 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Keep calling CPS until you get a response. Also if you want to take them file for custody. But it sounds like they do not need to be there.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 11:20 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• As long as the house is clean and the kids are fed and clothed, there is little CPS will do. Especially if there isn't anyone willing to claim custody of the kids if they decide to remove them from the home.
    Are there visible signs of abuse? Malnourishment? Uncleanliness (such as fesses on the floor or in their diapers for an extended period of time, old food left out, etc? )
    I mean really unless they see the drugs in plain sight, there isn't much CPS can do. It's sad yes, and no I don't believe women like this should be reproducing at all.
    You can try talking to a local rehab center, they normally have family help nights (for family members dealing with a family member on drugs), and they may be able to point you in a better direction than us, on ways to help, etc.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• You can also try filing a report of the drug use with the police, having a proper report with them of her drug use, may help validate CPS in removing the children from the home.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:40 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• OMG, how sad. I have not experienced this, but I would think that DSS can help. BEST of luck to you!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 2:32 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• have the POLICE do a welfare check on them, if they see.suspect cps is more likly to take for real good luck and kudos for stepping up for these babies! im 24 have a stable life and only have 2 kids i couldnt imagine her situation
    juansmommy

Answer by juansmommy at 2:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My question is what have YOU DONE to help? Does your niece drink and do drugs around the children or is it when she is having a night out? Does she feed them, love them; keep them with good hygiene? Is she abusive in any form? There is so much unsaid in your post that a proper answer cannot be given without ALL the information. I have seen children removed from homes because of misinformation with CPS (child protective service) and placed in foster/therapuetic homes that are 'supposed' to be better I know firsthand that some of these homes are NOT good homes. The truth is that sometimes children are removed from their home for stuff as simple as no lights because of financial reasons and placed in homes where they are physically abused/molested. Most of the time it goes undetected b/c the foster parent(s) threaten the children to silence. Some foster homes are like puppy mills: Money is the motive. TRY TALKING TO HER FIRST.
    KC3221

Answer by KC3221 at 4:01 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• how do you know of the drugs,and just being poor is no reason to take someones kids , aslong as the mother is feeding clothing and not hurting them you should leave it alone because taking the kids from the home is some times more trauma than if they had been left there, we were very poor but I had agreat child hood
    motherstime

Answer by motherstime at 4:40 PM on Sep. 30, 2010