32 weeks prego and have seriouse fear of natural birth can I elect to have a c-section? adult content

I have struggled for years in my marriage with an extreme fear of penetration and this made it very very difficult to concieve. Now that Im 32 weeks I thought I could get over this problem at least for my babys sake but durring an ER visit I was given a pelvic exam to check if I was dialating and they litteraly needed two people to hold me down from the anxiety attack I was having. My poor OB must have felt like she had to praticaly rape me. I just cant see myself allowing the doctors to probe me as they would need to for a natural delivery. By the way I was already going to go with an epidural but since my issue is a mental disorder I dont know if it would help. I need advice and help. Ive cried myself to sleep so many times fretting about my issue.

SunshineSandie

Asked by SunshineSandie at 11:01 AM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• so sorry to hear this is going on for you
    ask your doc
    i HAD to have a c section, i knew very early this would be happening, and I was scared to death of that, my doc was so good, he played like i was not even cut open yet, asking me if i felt this or that- the whole time he was already in there
    so talk to your doctor
    this is not not regular nerves about child birth
    yours is a real issue
    talk to your doc
    it will be ok
    and TRY to relax and consintrate on your baby that will be here soon
    good luck
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:10 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I would think being sliced open and having organs pushed around would be more scary..wow. Well, for me anyway. Just decline ALL pelvic exams. They aren't necessary anyway. And when you are in labor, the doc really only has to catch..he doesn't get in you goods.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:04 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I think a Doula would be of enormous help to you during labor.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:06 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Pelvic exams are unnessessary, the only reason they give them to you is so they can charge you for it...lol kidding, they really arent nessesary so I would decline them. However as for the csection, I would highly recommend against it. Csections are horrible, and they take so long to recover from. But if you feel safer opting for one, ask your doctor, im sure with your anxiety issues they would go for it. Good luck momma.
    Autumnmom24

Answer by Autumnmom24 at 11:07 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I agree about the doula. They can probably give you anti-anxiety medication when you are in labor. A c-section is major abdominal surgery, and not something to be taken lightly.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:08 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I would talk to your doctors about your fears and they can possibly give you an anti-anxiety med through your IV.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:04 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I was thinking the same thing kaylan....there are meds they can give you that really relax you. I am not sure if it would be enough to help you...but your Dr would know.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:05 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• That sounds so hard. I won't even pretend to know how that feels.

A c-section is a major surgery. They'll have to give you a catheter so you won't escape the "probing" altogether. I would never recommend choosing a c-section over a natural child birth (2 kids, 2 c-sections for me, neither were chosen). Talk to your OB and see if she has some suggestions or if she's seen someone with a similar problem.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 11:07 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I agree with the other ladies. I wouldn't want a c section if I didn't have to have one. I wish you the best
    Sheleekieije

Answer by Sheleekieije at 11:07 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• A doula might be an option. If you choose the vaginal route, then I think it is vital you seek out a DOula that is experienced in clients that have experienced Trauma. It might turn out that a midwife can act as your doula as they might have more experience in this area.

I wish you all the best. My heart breaks for you and your situation. You deserve a beautiful pregnancy and birth. Good Luck and Best wishes.

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:08 PM on Sep. 30, 2010