Pentecostal?

I have no idea what the pentecostals believe and just wanted a quick summary. I saw someone lump pentecostals with the assembly of God churches...I used to be a regular attendee at one of those. Are they pentecostal too? Just wondering, thanks!

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 8:57 AM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• penecostals do speak in tongues, etc. but so do other "non-denominations". the charasmatic movement is branched off from the penecostal faith. i kinda see it as "church to the extreme". i dont mean that in a bad way!
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 3:00 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• we beleive in worshiping God . IN the day of pentecost in the bible is when the holy spirit came down and the upper room started speaking in other tounges. We speak in tounges and worship the Lord with all are hearts and souls . Praise the LOrd :) GOd bless you
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 10:28 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• When i was searching for a church when we came to this area, i attended a "assembly of God" church and i really liked it, (Life Church in Roscoe) and my Aunt who is Pentecostal said their is a slight difference but not much, something like like they worship the holy ghost, and Assembly of God is Holy Spirit. Im still learning. At this church where i go, they speak in tounge also.
    scrapn2do

Answer by scrapn2do at 11:21 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Yes. Assembly of God is pentecostal.

hinson7169: ditto
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• not all assembly of gods are penticostal. even within the denomination there are differences. they believe in jesus as the son of god and the way of salvation but the difference comes in speaking in tongues. some teach you must speak in tongues others teach that some do and others don't. they tend to be more free spirited with dancing or movement during songs and such.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 12:08 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Ok, I've noticed those things as well...just wasn't sure if there were really any other differences.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:13 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Someone correct me if I'm wrong here (and I could be), but I've always heard that Pentecostals have strict rules about dress. I've also heard they do not allow make-up. That's why I don't attend their churches even though I agree with almost everything else. I'm what some may call a charismatic non-denominational, lol. I believe in having fun in church, and when the Spirit gets to moving, that's FUN!!
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 5:13 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• They are supposed to wear skirts to Church-as women
    They are not allowed to watch TV
    They are not allowed to wear jewelry
    If I am not wrong-They are not supposed to eat pork either.
    There are plenty of things that they are not supposed to do but do anyways.
    Anonymous

• When I was a teenager my Best friend was a Pentecostal, I was invited to go with her on a Sunday, I had spent the night. We got up and got dressed, and went. The preacher was giving his sermon, and all of a sudden people jumped up and started yelling and falling in the aisles, they were rolling around on the floor, and it scared me so bad that I ran out of there and stood at my friends car. I knew then I would never ever go back there again the rest of my Life!!!! They Also have books about not having anything to do with Jehovahs Witnesses too, I saw them for myself.
    Freda01

Answer by Freda01 at 6:51 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• it's kind of a no brainer that a Christian of any denomination would stay away from the teachings of the Jehovah's witnesses.
    Anonymous