baby food at 3 months?

I dont have a baby so im not up on the latest. My brothers SO said her baby (my nephew) isnt interested in the bottle anymore so she will use it to her advantage and start weaning him and put him on baby food. Is this possible? I though baby food was 5 to 6 months? Am I out of the loop or is this an ok idea. I'm not saying anything cause its not my business but I was kinda surprided by this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He needs the nutrients from the bottle for a full year. She needs to talk to her ped.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:08 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• You can start pureed food at four months. However, formula/Breastmilk is still vital for a baby's nutrician and should still be used as the main source of food for the baby. She should never take away the bottle completely. Pureed food is only a suppliment for babies who need more then just formula. However, formula/BM is still very important.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:09 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• this is not a good Idea. babies need the formula for a year. At three months, his belly isn't even ready for solids.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:09 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Even though she might be starting food at this is age (I don't reccomend until 5 or 6 months)... the baby is still going to need the bottle until they are 12 months old
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:10 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• He needs to stay on the bottle for a year and dont start baby food till 6 months the cereal can be started at 4 months.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:10 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• His MAIN nutrition should be the formula or BM until at least 12 months. He should not be weaned from it until after then. He doesn't even need baby food at all. He should wait until AT LEAST 6months to get any food. And even them I would wait until he can sit up and would give him real food and none of the jar crap. When he becomes malnourished or has major digestive issues, they will regret it. Before formula was around, people did a thing called "dry nursing". It killed babies. If they didn't or couldn't nurse and had no wet nurse...they tried this method.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:10 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• A baby's main source of nutrition all the way up to 12 months of age should be breast milk or formula. Furthermore, IMO, 3 months is too early to start solids. In any case, she cannot wean this baby from formula anytime soon. I recommend waiting until at least 6 months before introducing solids, though it is considered average for formula fed babies to start between 4-6 months. Regardless, always nurse or feed formula first, THEN offer the solids. Solids are never to replace breast or bottle feeding.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:11 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• A baby needs formula/breast milk for the 1st year-- that is their main food source. Most doctors do not recommend 'solids' (aka cereal or baby food) until they are older than 3 mo. (I think mine were about 5- 6 mo when they started foods). I hope your brother will talk to the baby's doctor and see what the doctor says about this....and then talk to the mom and set her straight on feeding baby.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:20 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• They say now that they can start the baby food (Stage One) at 3+ months if they are able to hold up their head and such. However, the bottle is supposed to be the main source of nutrition for the first 12 months. Even when they begin more baby food they should still be getting formula up to the one year mark when they can start on regular milks.
    They should definately be advised to speak to the pediatrician before they make this change. Just mention it to them.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:26 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• its all a bunch of bs myy lil girl started with jar food at 2 months and now she eats everyything and im not kidding i have never gave her anyything that she wouldnt eat. and i think its b/c we started her earlyy but theyy still do need a bottle. maybe tryy if he wont take formula tryy low fat or skim milk with water. i had to do that a few times and it didnt hurt her none.
    babyy_blue_eyes

Answer by babyy_blue_eyes at 11:28 AM on Sep. 30, 2010