In the event of a weather emergency.....school question..

when the weather is bad but school isnt closed do you feel that it is the school districts responsability or the parents to judge if it is safe for children to go to school?

Scenario....there is flooding in some areas so school is still open...some buses arent running but parents are taking children to school through the flooding but blaming the district for not closing.

I personally would have kept my son home had our area been flooded...i feel that his safety is more important than him missing one day of classes.

foxracing43701

Asked by foxracing43701 at 11:44 AM on Sep. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• If the school feels it is entirely unsafe they will close but it is still the parents choice to decide to keep their children home if they think it's unsafe, even if the school is open. Personally I wouldn't care if the school closed or not. If I felt my child would be in danger by attending that day, he would be staying at home with me.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:49 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• This is my take. The District doesn't run my family. I can always pull the "sick card" and say he had a doctor's appointment and send a note in the next day. They aren't going to know or care. So its really the parent's call IMHO.

Missing a day won't hurt anything 99.9% of the time.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:02 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• If school isn't cancelled and it still seems to be dangerous for my child to go-( Black Ice, etc.) of course it's a no brainer- I'd keep em home. No day of school is worth my childs life. school work can be made up quite easily.
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 12:07 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• It's up to the parents to decide matters of safety for their kids.  A couple years ago we got hit with some frigid low temperatures.  The actual air temperature was -20F and the windchill was like -35F.  I don't have a car so my kids walked to school every morning.  Almost every other school in the area was closed besides ours and the public school around the corner.  I decided it was just unsafe and silly to take my kids to school.  Their winter gear is not rated for those temps and even with extra layers they could have gotten frostbite and we all would have been freezing by the time they got to school (a 10 minute walk).

When I called in the lady agreed with me.  They still counted the absences.  It ruined all 3 kids' perfect attendance record for the year but it wasn't worth it with that cold.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:09 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• They are waiting for the school district to tell them what to do? Are they letting their kids play in traffic until someone tells them not to? Come on, have some common sense!!
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 12:11 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• We get a lot of snow and our schools policy is to close or have a 2 hour delay when the roads are impassable for even some of the buses, but there are some days when some parents do not feel comfortable with their children going to school because they are calling for bad weather during the day. The children are not penalized one bit if the parents choose to keep them home and then sends in an excuse the next day.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I determine if my child goes to school in a bad weather condition, If there's a flood my kid stays home.
    Mrs.DTJefferson

Answer by Mrs.DTJefferson at 2:35 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Last year I drove through really bad snow to get to school. The buses were skidding. I saw many accidents. I wanted to turn around, I couldn't believe it wasn't canceled. My daughter was scared. But I had to go to work, so on we went.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:48 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• The reason that I asked this question is because I am in coastal virginia and there is a lot of flooding, most of the schools have not closed but on the news channels facebook page there are parents that have sent their children to school but are angry that the school district did not close and are telling parents to use their judgment. To me it's common sense but there are people that are saying they would have kept their children home because of how bad it was had the school TOLD them to use their judment before it was time for them to go do school.
    foxracing43701

Comment by foxracing43701 (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• If your route to take your child/children to school takes you through a potentially dangerous situation - you should not go. I would err on the safe side and stay at home.

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 11:56 AM on Sep. 30, 2010