What would you do if your child came home from school with ripped short from front waiste band to back waiste band, and you bring this to the teachers attention and he says it your child's fault.

Which my d says she asked to go to the nurse and was denied. Then when you tell him that with that big of a rip even if she had not asked which she says she did he should have noticed it is unacceptable. He says oh well the PE teacher saw it and thought she came to school that way so she told the TA he has no idea why it didn't reach him and that the PE teacher went and bought my dd new clothes because she thought D had old clothes. Now the shorts she was wearing were new but thin material. I appreciate the thought of the PE teacher trying to help my d, but I still don't think it is OK that she went the whole day like this. There are at least two sex offenders near the school and some of the kids in her class talk about sex like they KNOW what it is so her ass hanging out is just creepy to me. Am I upset over nothing. I have the emails if you like to see. The principal is working with me, but still the teacher should care mor

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 11:48 AM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I am a teacher (not currently teaching) but if I had a student with ripped up pants that were really bad. Like you could see underwear or skin that shouldnt be seen.... I would give a quick call to the parents myself.

Depending on their answer...I would either send the child to the office to wait for new pants....or would find acceptable pants in the extra cloths box. Most schools have pants underwear shirts...just for these types of problems.

how old is your dd?
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:52 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• If it was ripped that badly the nurse should have provided another shirt, IF she had one. I have had students rip their shirts in class. I simply send a note home explaining what I saw, and WHY the shirt is like that. Honestly we don't always have clothing to provide, for I have had to just let the student finish the day in such a shirt. Sadly enough some students DO come to school already having ripped clothing too, so I can understand that assumption as well. :(

**I had a 3rd grader just take both hands and rip a huge hole in his jeans, from a smaller hole. He said it was fun. I had a first grader take his pencil and make a small hole in his shirt much larger. It is amazing what kids will do**

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:57 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• How old is your daughter?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I am going to school to be a teacher now. If one of my students had clothes like that I would get someone to take them up to the office so that you would be called to either pick up your child or bring a new pair of shorts for her.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:55 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• the school shoulve called you to bring more clothes
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:55 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I'd be talking to the school administration, then the District if I had to.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:56 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• You know, there comes a time when parents need to realize that schools can't do every thing for every child. Obviously, your kid has come to school looking like a bum before to warrant the PE teacher to buy new clothes. That goes above and beyond the scope of teaching. What was your teacher supposed to do? Sew them for her? You as a parent should handle this and not make it about the school. Schools don't get involved every time a kid gets their shorts muddy or a whole in their shirt. You deal with this.

Oh and there's two sex offenders in the area? Than why in the hell are you letting your daughter walk home by herself. A sex offender isn't going to care what your kid is wearing. If they want her they'll get her.

Try being a parent instead of a pain in the school's ass.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:57 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• She is five this is her first year of Kindergarten. If it wasn't so noticeable I could understand over looking it, but parents commented on her way out of class at 2:15 she did it in PE at 10 how can she go that long with out being noticed than I find out yes she told the PE teacher who told the TA for some reason nothing was done.
    hot-mama86

Comment by hot-mama86 (original poster) at 11:57 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• The school should have notified you. That is unacceptable!
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 11:58 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I'm sorry if I said shirt I meant SHORTS!
    hot-mama86

Comment by hot-mama86 (original poster) at 12:00 PM on Sep. 30, 2010