Dontcha hate nosey strangers?

The cashier at the grocery store started grilling my son as to why he wasn't in school that day and I really held my tongue. It wasn't her business and for all she knew we homeschooled.

He truthfully said he had a doctor's appointment, but I didn't feel this lady had the right to be remotely worried about it when the kid is clearly with the parent. If he was hanging around alone or with peers...maybe.

I let it go and let the situation pass, but I was a bit irritated. For all I know she was just teasing (in a serious tone) or conversating, but I didn't like the line of questioning myself. But maybe she's one of those people with a dry sense of humor, so I let it pass. Choose your battles situation.

Who would you feel?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 12:06 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it is non of her business. I hate it when strangers presume things are their business.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 3:07 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• lol my four (almost 5 yr old) would have informed her "we don't talk to strangers" in his usual snotty attitude. lol. But I wouldn't have liked it either. your right what business is it of hers. Now I can kinda understand if someones making convo and has a light heart tone to thier voice, but since you didn't get that impression it sounds like they were just being nosey. DS looks like he should be in kindergarden and I get that sometimes if we dont go to our normal grocer. and I usually ask the nosey cashier "whats it to ya?" lol.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 1:22 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I would have just rolled my eyes and my kids probably would have been happy to supply an answer.  In our old neighborhood most of the schools went full year with 3 months in, 1 month and there were 4 different tracts so there were always kids off all the time.  At our new school they have every Wed. afternoon off (get out at 12:30pm).

I remember getting hassled in high school for being at a store at 1pm.  The security guy wanted to call the truancy officer on me because he thought I was skipping school.  Not that it was his business but my school got out early on Thursdays AND I was with my mother.  She told him to mind his own business and that he wasn't a cop, lol.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:12 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• when i was with my then 3 yr old in store and she was having a tantrum, we were leaving of course, i had a stanger ( an older woman) stop me and say to my face, "What is wrong with her" i said "she is two" but this did not stop the lady who again said "But I mean WHAT is WRONG with her"
    thankfully, another lady butted in and said to first lady "I think, she already answered you, she is two"

so sometimes a noisy stranger is a good thing, in the case of the 2nd lady
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:14 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• When I was pregnant with my first, I looked really young, people thought I was 14! When a girl inquired as to how old I was, she laughed with relief and told me how young she thought I was. Apparently she thought we were BFFs by then because she asked me, "Who's the daddy?" She caught me off guard and I said the first thing that came to mind which was "Nobody you know." because she didn't! It may seem like a harmless question, I just thought that was a little presumptious of her to say that to someone she didn't even know.
    People must think that when a woman is pregnant, her life is fair game. When my sister was pregnant, one of our neighbors walked up to me and asked who she was pregnant for. I told him "Her husband." and he stared at me like I was supposed to update him on who that was. I just walked away.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 12:33 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• It was just a question...really not anything to get angry over. Sounds like she was just making chit chat with your son, had she asked what size underwear he wears then that would be over the line.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 2:53 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• was more than one question, it was a grilling of several, but the only answer she got from DS was "Have a Dr appt today" and "Yeah"
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Sep. 30, 2010