Teaching Myths...

It's very common for Religious Myths to be taught in schools. We all learned the basics about Greco-Roman myths through both history and literature classes. And parents just assume this will be taught, no one gets upset or tries to picket over it... However, when a teacher mentions Jesus or other Christian based myth (even in an effort to teach history, culture or literature) parents of all walks of life are angered...

Now, I clearly understand that a great deal more people have Christian beliefs than beliefs based on Greco-Roman myths, but that doesn't change the fact that there are people who continue to include GR myths in their belief systems...

So, IYO, why is one considered teaching "religion" and rejected by the majority, while the other is simple accepted? When in reality, at least for a minority, they are both current religions?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:10 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Religious Debate

• If they can teach mythology, they should be able to treat that topic (Bible studies) under the same title, cuz most mythology at one time was a current religion.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:15 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Jesus wasn't a myth. It can be historically proven through extra-Biblical documents that Jesus was a real man. So it should make sense for us to be upset when someone calls him a myth. If He was real, His teachings were real. If His teachings were real then (as CS Lewis states) you can call him a liar, or a lunatic, or you can call him Lord - but to chalk him up to myth (or to a nice guy who had really good morals) is utterly impossible.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 12:17 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Hercules probably wasn't a myth either, but his exploits got overblown so much that he got turned into one. The fact is he was most likely real (as most myths start off as), a mighty warrior, super strong and people starting making tales about this guy until one day he was suddenly the son of Zeus himself.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:19 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Gal, Jesus as a religious figure can not be proven. However, just about all Myths have truth to them... For example, Troy was assumed to be purely fictional because it was a part of Religious Myth, however, we now know it wasn't. My point is that ALL religions are built on myth (myths generally do include truth), so why is teaching ONE seen as okay while others even as a reference is seen as wrong?

I have no issue with my children learning myths of any kind, and in fact I read them every kind of myth I can find, including Christian and Jewish. I don't have an issue with the Bible being used as a reference when teaching common day beliefs through history or cultures, as that's how others are taught. My beliefs however, much closer those of the GrecoRoman beliefs than Christian.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:23 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Actually a few years ago they found proof that Hercules (or at least his mother) did exist. They found his childhood home which matched mythological descriptions right down to the alter in the basement - which was uncommon in that day (the basement I mean, not the in home alter).

And if we are going to start looking for physical proof of mythological figures as proof of their existence - it's worth noting that the cave with baby Zeus was meant to have been kept in, has also been discovered - right where the myths said it would be and it included artifacts and other things which would actually speak to his existence rather than against it... SO if all we need is physical "proof" of existence in order to remove something from the Myth category, religion would be a lot more complicated!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Jesus wasn't a myth.

This is why it can't be taught.

RELEASE THE CRACKEN!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:43 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• There is also proven fact that some historical myth figures like Hercules were also not purely myth. Like Jesus, these other figures are made legends by clever fictionalized writing of facts. People get into an uproar over their savior just as people did when Jesus and Christianity was popularized over poly-theistic religions that had been thriving for centuries before "the Man" made it to the limelight. People in ignorance will always follow sheepishly those who write their history for them and especially if it means life or death or eternal damnation. Fire and brimstone, why else would modern religions compete in baptizing people who aren't there? Parents want to have eminent domain over their children's "souls" just as Governance of yore, like Constantinople; The father of the bible, or John Smith, and Moroni's golden plates forming LDS scriptures. Control and power where you can is tantilizing, and rewarding to the winner
    freyjawire

Answer by freyjawire at 12:55 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I don't have a problem with it when they do it in a historical sense. However the nest time my dd's teacher tells her to pray and go to church I'm smacking him.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:59 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Release the Kracken... lol Beeky. laughing

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:11 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I think it comes down to how it is presented. There is a dangerous precipice that teachers may come too close for comfort for some people. I have no issue with my kids being taught the idea of Jesus' life story. BUT....how do we monitor teaching vs. indoctrinating....even in the tiniest form? How do we present the figure "Jesus" alongside Troy, when Jesus is soooo currently worshipped and portrayed a true deity?
    And then comes the discussion among the kids themselves....whose to stop the kid badgering the one kid in class who does NOT believe that Jesus is a "god"...or doesn't believe in any god. There is enough of that going around as it is.
    I think Jesus being taught as a myth would raise more hackels among the christians as it is...nevermind what would erupt amongst the students.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:51 PM on Sep. 30, 2010