Why believe something when you normally wouldn't trust that source?

Many people prefer to only believe what their religion dictates when it comes to prophecies and such. When it comes to prophecies from other cultures, it's not taken nearly as seriously by them.

My example here is the

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 12:10 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Religious Debate

• If you don't normally believe facts from a certain source, why only believe/trust one thing?
    -----------------------------------------------------
    It gives people something to "what if" about and panic needlessly over.

People have done and still do the same thing with Nostradamus' predictions. There are camps on both sides ... will happen/won't happen.

Another example, Y2K. Total computer failure!!! Never happened. The world didn't come crashing to a halt.

I take all predictions for the "end of the world" with a grain of salt. I don't care where it comes from. If it happens, it happens. WTH are you going to do to stop it? Not a single thing.

IOW ... Live your life to the fullest. Don't go quietly into the dark, make them drag you in kickin' and screamin'!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:51 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Prophets are only proven as such if their prophecies are fulfilled. The prophets of other religions have not proven themselves to be trustworthy, because their prophecies never came true.

As for the Mayan calendar .... the Mayan's didn't believe that the end of the world would happen on Dec 21, 2012, they simply believed that the world would in change in such a way that their mathematics could not predict. I don't know if that is true or not - we'll have to wait and see.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 12:14 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• People are fascinated by prophecies, when 2012 comes and if we are all still here, then people will find another date to call doomsday. It also makes good television viewing on the Discovery and History channels.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:14 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I think you mean 2012, not 2010...

But beyond that I tend to agree. I am someone who prefers to get my information from trusted sources. That said, I don't completely discredit prophecy. As a person who has visions herself, it would be rather hypocritical of me to think others don't or can't. But what I do prefer to do when it comes to prophecy is look at the history behind them, look at the facts and make an educated decision based on what I know about the prophecy and the prophesier both. Since you used the 2012 thing, I'll use that one. After doing my research about not only the Mayan calendar and their beliefs, but also about the date itself (12/21/12) I have found no reason to believe it's the "end of the world" it is however, the "end of an Age." Can that be seen as the end of the world? In a mythological way, sure... But not in a physical way. Research and common sense should be looked at before truth is simply assumed

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:18 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I think your right, people believe what they wanna hear. So if you tell them something they like, they'll trust you as a good source, even tho you aren't providing any real proof or credibility.

Same reason you wouldn't give a hoot about what some stranger on the street says to you, but go online and people get all worked up about what some stranger said to them on an internet post.... wierd
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:12 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Crap, edit option didn't work the correct way. Yes, I did mean 2012.

The gyst of the question being why believe something from a source you wouldn't ordinarily trust? The end of the world is supposed to be in December 2012, according to a Mayan calendar. But, when would you go by that calendar normally? Why believe only certain prophecies from a certain culture and not others?

I think it's almost like believing some of their histories are true, but the ones you don't like, never happened. What's there is there and you can't change it.

If you don't normally believe facts from a certain source, why only believe/trust one thing?
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 12:34 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I don't know because I don't fall into that category.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:56 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I dont get the question really
    rachel_07

Answer by rachel_07 at 5:27 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• rachel07 - That's because when I tried to edit with the correct year, it cleared out a good portion of the original post.
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 10:56 PM on Sep. 30, 2010