Arrests made in the suicide death of Rutgers student, how much time should they get?

The Middlesex County prosecutor’s office said Mr. Clementi’s roommate, Dharun Ravi, 18, of Plainsboro, N.J., and another classmate, Molly Wei, 18, of Princeton Junction, N.J., had each been charged with two counts of invasion of privacy for using “the camera to view and transmit a live image” of Mr. Clementi. The most serious charges carry a maximum sentence of five years.

Mr. Ravi was charged with two additional counts of invasion of privacy for trying a similar live feed on the Internet on Sept. 21, the day before the suicide. A spokesman for the prosecutor’s office, James O’Neill, said the investigation was continuing, but he declined to “speculate on additional charges.”

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:33 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• sofflasshelley: Would that wimpy little kid be that, If one of them had been YOURS? I don't want the My kids would never kill himself BLAH BLAH BLAH answer. None of us really know what our kids are always going to do in certain circumstances, or behind CLOSED doors. Just for a moment put yourself in the parents shoes of the wimpy kids, now seriously think, would your kid be the wimpy one now? It was a prank gone bad, but it calls for some kind of punishment due to the whimpy kid committing suicide. Yes he was gay and maybe had other issues, so what, he was someones child. If some kind of punishment isn't done to these 2 as an exampole, GOD help all of us, now who ever gets video taped, you just may end up on the internet yourself. YEs, some kind of punishment is due, there was a loss of life here, not just a kid embarassed, as for time, that's for a Judge to decide, lets hope he's on the side of THE WHIMPY KIDS !!
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 1:53 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

• do you think there could be a civil suit against them too from family of young man?
    this made my want to cry
    and made me pissed off at the same time
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:40 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I definately think they should get jail time...some people are so cruel.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 12:44 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Until they are able to regulate what is put on the internet these people won't get what they deserve. It's a very slippery slope. They will have to find something that they can charge these people with that doesn't have to do with calling names or telling lies (or truths) and posting on face book or wherever. We still have free speech so that gets in the way. Many feel they should be charged with involuntary manslaughter but that's not going to happen. That's why these guys were charged with invasion of privacy.
    I'm not big on the government telling us what we can put on the internet but it would be nice if these internet providers/ websites would voluntarily police what is put on their site. Things like this and self suicides, murders and beheadings etc should never be shown online.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:48 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I wonder if the perps would have targeted this man had he been heterosexual? Would students have been as interested in watching that encounter? Would the target student have been as humiliated; responded in the same fashion? Would people feel differently about the entire incident? Is this a hate crime? Were any other couples filmed in similar situations?

Sad situation, all around.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:52 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I had to click on the link, the way you have it all worded made me think that they live streamed him actually committing suicide.
    I don't see why the female would face charges. It wasn't her webcam or her room. The Male studednt however, should face charges. I'll bet he regrets what he did and didn't see it going this far. He does deserve a lesson in humanity though and maybe a swift kick in the a** would send a message out that intolerance and hate on any scale are not okay. I dont think he deserves the max sentence. A year though...easily.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:43 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Yeah that is an adequate charge, You are not suppose to video tape or even voice record any one with out their knowledge.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:50 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I think these kids made a horrible decision (kids do that sometimes) and i don't think that makes them monsters.

They did a terrible, terrible thing, the results of which were probably unimaginable to them.

Jail is for people we are afraid of, not for people we're mad at.

I am mad at these kids but I am pretty sure they'll never do that again.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:54 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Both students should be tried for a hate crime, get kicked out of school, and face stiff jail time. I also hope the family of that young man goes after them in a civil suit. This was a vicious and cruel act - and they deserve to be punished harshly.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:50 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Life! That's what I am feeling right now. I just have no compassion for this depth of cruelty.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 2:07 PM on Sep. 30, 2010