DD is 13 months. How can I start to wean from the bottle without stress to either of us.

MoValMomma

Asked by MoValMomma at 9:31 AM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had started my son trying sippy cups at about 7 months, then around 10 months, he got his sippy cup at naps and bottle at bedtime. Once his first birthday hit, I just took all of the bottles away. As for weening off sippy/bottle at bedtime, he gets milk before bedtime. Then we brush our teeth and he'll get a sippy cup of water at bedtime. Most of the time he doesn't even drink it, but his tummy is full from the milk beforehand. Just remember that it only takes a couple of days to form a new habit. You daughter might cry, but babies do that. If you don't do it now, it will only get harder. You don't want to have a child who is 4 years old with a bottle all the time.
    Pregowithsecond

Answer by Pregowithsecond at 9:40 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Make sure you put water in it they tend to not like it and itis better for them . With my first son we threw the bottle in the garbage together he was 15 months . Get into a bedtime routine without the bottle it will be hard at first but it will get better . He may cry himself to sleep for a couple nights just reassure him its ok .hope this helps
    angeleyesm

Answer by angeleyesm at 10:07 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• You make it fun! Try adding a big girl cup and making her feel like she is really special to use it. She will get to like it and want less and less of the bottle.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:52 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I took my daughter of her bottle at 12 months i started off giving her juice in her cup and only used her bottle for milk and water, then eventually just water. i always offered her a cup before a bottle with anything in it but if she wouldnt take it then i would switch it over except juice because i knew she liked juice so if she wanted that she had to take the cup of she didnt get it. eventually they always take the cup it didnt take us long
    NyNymom

Answer by NyNymom at 9:45 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Just take it away. She's gonna be upset for awhile but your an adult you can deal and she'll get over it soon.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:30 PM on Oct. 24, 2008