What do you do with a lactose Intolerant baby?

My son was just diagnosed as Lactose Intolerant i have a general idea of what to feed him i just dont know how it will effect him! im a first time mom my son will be 8 months old next week! Im sad he will miss out on lce cream and yogurt, cheese, i feel bad! I blam is father lol cuz he was the same way and a very sick baby tho im just finding these thing out now! So any advice?

AidensMommy021

Asked by AidensMommy021 at 12:47 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• soy!
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 12:48 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My Doctor told me that a lot of babies that can't digest milk also can't digest soy. I would suggest Enfamil Nutramigen or Similac Alimentum. Although Alimentum has a bit more milk than Nutramigen I would suggest the Enfamil Nutramigen. Good Luck (Both my boys were lactose intolerant.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 12:59 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• actually lactose intolerance in infants is usually only temporary. if you're an adult or an older child and develop LI then it's normally permanent. my little sister, who is 14, was LI as an infant and grew out of it. My older sisters developed it their 20s and my fiance developed it as a teen and they've dealt with it for years. they still eat lactose and just deal with the runs. anyway it's something he'll probably grow out of and even if he doesn't, lactaid products taste the same cause lactose is flavorless and they also make lactaid pills
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:00 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My daughter was diagnosed as being lactose intolerant. I had to give her special milk without lactose. It is very expensive. The doctor said she would outgrow it by a year and she did. She drinks milk regulary like a champ. So who knows with kids these days.
    godchasur23

Answer by godchasur23 at 1:01 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Your child could out grow it and if not you have soy and instead of Ice Cream you have sherbet or italian ice
    Sheleekieije

Answer by Sheleekieije at 1:09 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Is he lactose intolerant, or allergic to dairy proteins? They are very different conditions with different recommendations. LI is extremely rare in infants and protein allergies are very common.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:11 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• There are plenty of non dairy alternatives. My son has difficulty with dairy, he drinks almond milk, eats coconut milk yogurt and ice cream...there are really a lot of options out there.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:16 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• thanks for the tips and his doc said he is lactose intolerant because he had the runs and throws up when he eats cheese ect, but we will see if he changes at all oh and he is on soy based formula enfamil soybee and he is much better on that!
    AidensMommy021

Comment by AidensMommy021 (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Well, that's hardly conclusive. They have to actually test for LI. It could be he has a problem with dairy proteins (which would be obvious by the fact that he's on soy formula). Or, if he already outgrew the dairy protein issues, it could be secondary LI from lack of exposure to lactose. I would bet it's the proteins, though. Just don't give him dairy and try it every once in a while to see if he's outgrown it. My older son outgrew the allergy around age 2.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:28 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• It may pass as his digestive system matures.
    I am lactose intolerant (started in H.S. for me) but I can handle little bits at at time. Cheese if fine. yogurt, not so much. But I find that I enjoy sorbet more than I ever liked ice cream.....so there are alternatives. :)
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 2:19 PM on Sep. 30, 2010