Child not doing well in school

does anyone have a child who had troube learning in school and eventually was able "get it" and started doing better. My son is in third grade has issue with reading with in turn effects other subjects. he gets extra help with reading but it is so frustrating. the school is willing to work with him and modify how he will take a test since he has trouble reading. I am just frustrated because it is a constant battle that I feel is never going toend.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• My oldest son had a reading tutor in 2nd grade, he had a really hard time with it. FF to now (he's 13, 8th grade), he is in his 3rd year of honors classes :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:53 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I would suggest a tutor if possible or someone at home really working with him. Does he have a learning disability or an IEP? I would hate to see him fall behind if he doesn't have to. What is his problem with reading, is the the phonetics or comprehension or both??
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I've been going through it with my son. He always had trouble in reading, but we just plugged away at it and I'm happy to say now he's in 5th grade and I think i'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hes really starting to do good. All I can say is I never let anyone tell me he had all these problems and never put him on meds....He was always the youngest in his class and a little immature every year now he's just finally getting the maturity he needed and he's doing much better. over a million children are miss diagnosed with ADHD because they are the youngest in the class and teachers dont know how to deal with them. just do want you think is right and dont let anyone bully you into anything you dont want to do.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 1:00 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• All I can say is practice, practice, practice. Is there any reading programs in your local library? My little brother hated to read, but over time he was able to catch up. My husband still hates to read, and dropped out of college because of it. Unless he has a learnign disability, he is just going to have to read more and more if he is going to get it.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 1:03 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My oldest son could not read to save his life in the early grades. Then around 5th grade I believe something just clicked in his brain. I remember the day..the teacher had me come to school and she played me a video of him reading a report out loud. I was crying my eyes out. He's now 13 and a straight A student in accelerated classes in 8th grade.

But still, I am wondering if my 9 yr old will take after his brother. He can't read well, can't spell well, and struggles to understand math. I am hoping a miracle happens to him too.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:22 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• i have one who was like that..he slipped thru the cracks of the public school system til 7th grade..if i had known then what i know now i wouldve had him in tutoring..they have it on line now..where i live..an if it didnt help..i would ask the school bout a 504 bfore i do an IEP..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 5:45 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• The best way to get better at reading is to do it. And often. My advice to you is that you take your son to the library and help him to pick out some appropriately leveled readers and have him read to you every day after school.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 5:10 PM on Oct. 1, 2010