My daughter is 22mo, and is very petite for her age. Her doctor has suggested i take her to see a specialist about her thyroid. My husband is very against this. What should i do?

My daughter has already had bloodwork done to check her thyroid and the tests came back just fine. I dont understand what more there could be. She eats just fine. She only weighs about 20 lbs, but she is very short too.

dhanshaw

Asked by dhanshaw at 9:32 AM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You need to talk to your husband some more and find out what he's against her seeing a specialist. (I just want to add seeing a specialist doesn't mean you have to do any of the treatments the specialist may or may not recommend, it would mean just getting more information. What you do with that info is totally up to you and your husband.)
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:36 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Some kids are just built that way my friends second duaghter is 25 pounds and age 3 . She is very petitie but she is in good health . Little girls tend to be on the small side . Talk to your doctor about giving her a nutrional drink I had to do that with my first to help him gain a little wieght . He was not very small just very active .I know they have them for kids .
    angeleyesm

Answer by angeleyesm at 10:04 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Doctors don't just suggest you go see any type of specialist. My daughter only weighed that much and mine never suggested it. So there's obviously a reason she needs to see a specialist..something may be wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Her doctor really did just suggest it. She said i know there most likely isnt anything wrong, because her tests showed us that, but she said she just wanted us to take her so that she wont worry about her. If her thyroid test already came back, and there is nothing wrong with it, then why should i still have to take her for more pointless blood work? It very aggravating when they keep having you do the same thing over and over again. Why do doctors always want babies to be fat, but once they reach childhood they complain that all the kids are fat? That just seems rediculous to me...
    dhanshaw

Answer by dhanshaw at 11:19 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• if her thyroid tests came back normal then i would not go see a specialist, I have thyroid problems and there is really no reason to see a specialist. If you daughter has been cleared with the tests already done then it may just be how she is built. She may hit a growth spurt soon and catch up, you never know. If you are concerned about her weight, then try feeding her more things high in protein and carbs. She will burn them off before they turn to sugar.
    fcangel9

Answer by fcangel9 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I am not worried about her at all. I know she is eating well, she is actually a little advanced developmentally, and she is very very smart. She can already count to 8, in both english and spanish, and she only has to watch us do something once and she catches on. I just dont know how to tell the doctor that i dont want to take her for more tests. We have a nutritionist also, who has said that she is just fine and healthy.
    dhanshaw

Answer by dhanshaw at 11:25 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I would talk to your husband and look up info on possible thyroid problems. They will do a blood test to determine if it is in fact a thyroid problem. I have Hypothyroidism and was finally diagnosed when I was 18 they suspect I've had it since I was 6 or 7....if in fact it is a thyroid they can give her daily medication to get it balanced. They wanted to remove mine when I was 19, but after discussing it with my parents we decided not to...once I was pregnant my TSH (thyroid hormone) levels balanced out and I don't need medication..I have a simple blood test once a year to have it checked. Good luck and best wishes!!
    AmandaN84

Answer by AmandaN84 at 11:26 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Well, without knowing why your husband is so in disagreement about taking her to a specialist, I can't be of much assistance.. but I do know some children are just petite. I have had friends who's children were about that size. My granddaughter is 4 and is only about 29 lbs. She is pretty tiny... The baby is 10 mos and 17 lbs. It all just depends upon their activity level. If you think she is healthy, I would think all is fine.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:51 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• There are a lot of other things that can cause what you're describing besides thyroid, matter of fact I'm a little surprised they tested for that. My daughter was very small from about 1-9 years old. They ran the battery of tests, the only thing that ever came up was she was slightly anemic. I mean she was really tiny, wore a 2T at 6 years old. Now, at 18, she's 5'6 and 170 so it's all good. But, a specialist might be able to catch things, hgh deficency for example, that a regular doc wouldn't catch. Good luck!
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 12:02 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I mean i know why my husband is against it. He thinks its stupid that we keep having these tests done when they havent found anything actually wrong with her. She isnt anemic, she has been checked for that. It really seems like the doctor is reaching for something to be wrong with her. I am thinking about switching doctors, because my nephew is taller than her, and weighs about the same. he actually looks too skinny...but his doctor has never asked my brother to take him to anybody. My daughter eats just fine, and is just very active so she doesnt keep weight on her. She is gaining it, its just a slow process. I dont think babies have to be fat to be considered healthy.
    dhanshaw

Answer by dhanshaw at 12:33 PM on Oct. 23, 2008