When did eating too many Twinkies become a handicap?

I am overweight. Considerably overweight, but I would love to know how no self control over your own piehole became a reason to use a battery opperated scooter at the Walmart to load your cart up with more junk, then drive on out to your car parked in the handicap spot. Really, are we as Americans this sad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Health

• i guess so cus i see that every time i go to wal mart.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:22 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Do you know that person to make that judgement? Just cause they are overweight and use the cart to buy junkfood does not mean that is their handicap. Maybe they had bad knees, stroke, polio in childhood.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 1:25 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• alot of times, you can't just go on their appearances..........but there are people who are misusing the carts, but its not my place to sit and ponder about that.............i have better things to do.
    mghtymffn

Answer by mghtymffn at 1:32 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• How do you know that their weight isn't caused by a thyroid issue? Or, and this is sad, their weight may be enough that it has damaged their joints or bones and they Can't walk. Or they may not be able to walk more than a certain number of feet before they are struggling to breathe. Agreed, they shouldn't load up with more junk, but when they are to that point they are beyond just diet and exercise. THey need a doctors help, and probably some therapy as well. Eating can and does become an addiction for some.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 1:34 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I agree with KarrieMarie,

Also, how do you know why they were purchasing that stuff? My dad is paralyzed, he uses a scooter, and he buys treats for his grandkids. He knows vary rarely buy junk foods for my kids, and he keeps treats around. What is so wrong with that?

Before you go and judge someone so severely, try having some compassion first.

There are freedoms in this country. I don't think you were right to judge someone just on what little you witnessed.
    6girlsrock

Answer by 6girlsrock at 1:35 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Have you noticed how many more overweight folks there are, since the gvt allowed the use of HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP because it's cheap, it's bad for kidneys also... http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/still-spooked-by-high-fructose-corn-syrup/

"They found that overall, people who drank two or more sugary sodas a day were at 40 percent higher risk for kidney damage, while the risk for women soda drinkers nearly doubled."

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 1:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• And I agree, we shouldn't judge others, we all have our own issues...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 1:40 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Sad, but true... I wouldn't even use one the last time I had a knee injury that required an immobilizer and crutches... I find it disgusting.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:40 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• i'm sure the extreme-heavies i see using those scooters DO HAVE HEALTH ISSUES..maybe from other sources, but most likely compounded by their weight.
    still, its not my issue. i'm glad i can park out in the north-40 and walk briskly in/out of the store, carrying multiple bags of groceries.
    count your blessings, people! you may have it better due to your own choices..but then again, you don't know their story. you only know what you see when you JUDGE them with your eyes.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:47 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Who care how someone else does thier grocery shopping?

I have more to worry about than the origin of other peoples mobility issues.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:49 PM on Sep. 30, 2010