Potty training at 21 months....

I know that it's still a little too early for potty training, but my son doesn't keep his diaper on. We've tried the onesies, duct taping, etc., but nothing works. I'm sick of going into his room in the mornings and seeing his diaper off and poop on his sheets. It's not like he's playing in it he just doesn't want his diaper on. During the day he just likes to take off his diaper all the time. Then he'll go sit on the potty and nothing happens so we put the diaper back on. He has gone both pee and poop once each in the potty, but nothing since then. The loves to go sit on the potty, but doesn't like to sit there for long. Today I'm trying the timer for every hour to see if this works. Are there any suggestions out there for keeping a diaper on? He's figured out how to unsnap the onesie and somehow can get off the duct tape. Thanks for anyone who can help!

Pregowithsecond

Asked by Pregowithsecond at 9:36 AM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son loved to take his diaper off he even did it with his pants still on and we would see his diaper coming out of his pants leg lol . Just keep trying the potty . WE started at 18 months and he is fianlly trained at 4 but I am sure it will not take your son that long .Try buying pullups with out velcro those are a little harder to get off . You could place a pad under neath him at night so poop does not get on the sheets .I think this will pass mine stopped taking the diaper off I think it may have been a phase .
    angeleyesm

Answer by angeleyesm at 10:02 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Set the timer for every 30 min...if you want a better chance of catching him actually going on the potty. At this age, I wouldn't have him sit for more than 2 min or so, and would give him a book or small toy to play with that is special for the potty.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 10:28 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• i suggest that if ur serious about doing the potty training then DONT USE PULL UPS OR DIAPERS..ONLY UNDERWEAR!! my ds wouldnt use the potty on one of those seats that go on the floor or the tops for the big potty..i put him on like an adult and he let go. make a habit out of using the potty make sure he goes when he wakes up and before bed. go to walmart buy the gerber brand cloth training pants and line ur furniture. teach him to say pee pee and boo boo and tell him no pee pee or boo boo in ur big boy underwear. line ur furniture for those accidents and give lots of praise. it took my son a week to train this way now hes gettin up in the middle of the night too pee! good luck
    ARMYWiFEnSAHM

Answer by ARMYWiFEnSAHM at 11:47 AM on Oct. 23, 2008