A question for atheist/non-religious CafeMom-ers!

Hubby and I are non-religious, but our daughter has someone we call a Godfather because we don't know what other term to use. She has plenty of uncles already, so we don't want to call him Uncle, but Godfather just seems hypocritical of us!
What do you ladies think? If you're atheist/non-religious, do your kids have Godparent-like figures and what do you call them?

SarahLeeMorgan

Asked by SarahLeeMorgan at 1:34 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I call mine "Daddy Daddy" and "Mommy Mommy" Or "Mommy Connie" "Daddy Leon". They're my second set of parents.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My kids have an "Aunt Jamie" who is closer than most of the family, and an "Uncle Buddy"- neither are related by blood. We accept them as a part of our family regardless, and the kids picked up on calling them Aunt & Uncle on their own. I see no harm in it at all. Family includes a wide range of people, both who are related by blood and are not.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:36 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• we aren't religious but our daughter has godparents. it's more choosing the people you trust the most to take care of the child if both parents were to die
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• "GodParent" is neccisarily a religious term. It's a term to mean that, that friend or family member will gain custody of the child if something (hopefully not) were to happen to both parents. I think you should just call the person by their name instead of sticking a title to them. It doesn't make any difference whether he has a title or not, so instead of stressing over it maybe just call them by their name.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:00 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I understand that, Ali, I just feel weird saying "This is Audrey's Godfather, but we don't believe in God" lol. What makes it even better is he's gay; he came up with just calling him her Fairy Godfather, which I think is hilarious but most people wouldn't get it!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Comment by SarahLeeMorgan (original poster) at 2:00 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My kids just call close friends of the family 'Auntie' or 'Uncle,' or just their first name. We don't happen to have a lot of aunts and uncles to start with (I'm an only child, dh has one brother who lives in a different country and only sees the kids a couple of times a year) so it works for us.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:12 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• ds has godparents. we dont associate that term with religion but the meaning behind it.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:24 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Owl_Feather, that's what I was originally thinking, but my mother was having a particularly bad day and said "Audrey can't have godparents, you don't even believe in god!" So that got me thinking....lol
    SarahLeeMorgan

Comment by SarahLeeMorgan (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Sep. 30, 2010