Is there a legal limit to number of cats?

assuming they are indoor cats?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 1:44 PM on Sep. 30, 2010 in Pets

• I would call the animal control in your county. They will surely be able to tell you. I think also, maybe if there isnt a specific law where you live maybe its just up to the discretion of the animal control....for instance maybe one person can do a great job of taking care of 10 cats (as an example) but another person might not be able to take care of 8 adequately.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 1:53 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• some places do have laws on how many you can have without a shelter permit. you would have to check local laws.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:46 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I think most areas have laws concerning the number of animals a person can have in their home. Have you seen those Hoarder shows? People having 20 or 30 cats in a house..yikes! It gets out of control.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 1:49 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• It depends on state and county. However, most states say that you can have no more then six indoor cats in a home. As long as the home remains clean, the animals are well taken care of, etc. To obtain a legal right to have anymore animals in the home after that you need to file for a multiple-pet license with the county. After an investigation of the home and an interview with you they will agree or disagree to you obtaining a license.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:55 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I've looked online and I went to the library and looked thru all the law books in my city, county and state and 99% of the laws are in regards to livestock and dogs. Almost nothing about cats. And when I ask someone I get the impression no one gave cats any thought at all or give a hoot about em.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 1:50 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• @Jazz... sounds like if you never brought it to anyone's attention they'd really have no way of ever knowing (being indoor) and pretty much unnoticed unless your one of those Hoarder people LOL, now that just nuts. I'm talking 5-8 cats (we inherited a litter recently)
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 2:00 PM on Sep. 30, 2010