How can I stain a costume?

question for the crafty mama's out there. i cannot find a costume for my youngest, he is 6 months but almost 22 lbs. he is too big for the infant costumes but too small for the toddler costumes. i was thinking i could dye my daughter's costume from last yr since it should fit him even though he is younger than she was for Halloween. my question is, the costume is pink, how could i dye it and what color? i only have food dye, not sure if it would work. if i have to buy fabric dye what do i get and where in a store would i find it? can you tell im not crafty, lol. thanks for the help!

AgentBrez

Asked by AgentBrez at 9:43 AM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Try Rit Dye. They sell it everywhere walmart your grocery store everywhere. here is a link to there website so you can look at there colors. http://www.ritdye.com/home.lasso
    You should be able to find it in the store near the laundry detergent. I hope that helps. Depending on what the costume is I recommend Brown.
    mommiesquid

Answer by mommiesquid at 10:14 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• thanks Cori. yeah, its a farm animal of some sort, i cant remember lol. i think brown might be my best bet also.
    AgentBrez

Answer by AgentBrez at 10:44 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• why don't you just brew some tea,and tea dye it?
    it's natural,safe and cheap.you can make it as dark brown as you need.or you could take bleach in a spray bottle,spritz the whole costume.use vinegar as a bleach stopper.then tea dye it once the bleach dries.that way it would look like a speckled pig.Like those speckled eggs you get at easter,the candy.just an idea.
    karrey

Answer by karrey at 9:38 PM on Jul. 25, 2009